• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

7/16/2014 Tech Talk: How Elio Connects

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
7/16/2014 How Elio Connects

Elio Motors Tech Talk v25
View this email in your browser
Elio_TechTalk_Header5ee076.jpg
Connecting with NEWTECH 3

It’s easy to look at the Elio and immediately be swept away by its futuristic design, its low price and its amazing fuel efficiency. Obviously, these are attributes that catch the auto enthusiast’s eye.

But, the true gear heads out there will realize that every vehicle has an unsung hero that keeps drivers comfortable, safe and happy. With the rise in electronic technology in the industry over the past several decades, the wire harness has taken on a more prominent role in vehicle design and overall customer satisfaction.

Fortunately, Elio Motors is working with NEWTECH 3 (click here), one of the premier suppliers of wire harnesses to the transportation industry. The company started as Accumax in 1984 as a designer and manufacturer of premium sound systems for GM vehicles. It has grown into a wire harness and circuit board assembly supplier to OEMs such as Chrysler and GM and global Tier One auto suppliers such as Bosch, Inalfa, Webasto, Magna, Mitsubishi and Peiker Acustic to name a few.

77d4ec18-7c83-47b5-84a8-f77ee99fd8f1.jpg

How important is the wire harness? Here are a few of the systems on the Elio that depend on NEWTECH 3’s expertise:
  • all of the communication between the engine sensors and the ECM;
  • the wheel sensors and the ABS module;
  • crash sensors and the airbag squibs;
  • the communications between the ECM and the MFC;
  • and the power to drive items such as the windows, wipers, fuel pump, fans, HVAC, lights and dashboard.
NEWTECH 3 will be managing and producing all of the wire harnesses for the Elio vehicle, and like all Elio supplier partners, they play an active role in making day-to-day design and engineering decisions that keep overall costs down by focusing on system cost rather than component cost. Through the Supplier Summits, the lead electrical engineers from Elio Motors and NEWTECH 3 are in constant contact with all suppliers of electrical accessories on the Elio. This helps specify the proper connector and terminal systems to mate to the accessory and provides a better understanding of power and communication requirements that each accessary requires.

As the electrical components are added to the vehicle, a map is made of the necessary connection points. Currently, most of the components are “designed in.” The next step is to install prototype harnesses on a “buck” to determine the best routing for manufacturing. The first harness to be built will power the engine, followed shortly thereafter by the body and lighting harnesses.
71c741ef-4ae6-47b5-b3fd-0a74722bd3e4.jpg

Vehicle electronics in the auto industry will continue to experience rapid growth. According to global forecasting company IHS, the global market for automotive electronics is set to rise to $240 billion in 2020, up more than 50 percent from $157 billion in 2010, driven to new levels of prominence by regulatory and safety initiatives. NEWTECH 3 will play a critical role in helping guide our electronics strategy, as the Elio Motors electronic capabilities evolve to enhance the driver experience without adding to the overall cost of the vehicle.
Elio_Footer268585.jpg

b4846425-e91d-422e-9de7-0ac123c75809.jpg

Copyright © 2014 Elio Motors, All rights reserved.
You signed up to receive updates from Elio Motors where you filled out a form including your name and email address!

Our mailing address is:
Elio Motors
2942 North 24th Street
Suite
114-700
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Add us to your address book

open.php?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=c5006f6f12&e=82ad6a83d3.gif

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if these are actual photos of one of the P5 harnesses. One interesting detail I noticed is that NEWTECH3 happens to be located less than 15 miles from Techosports who will be doing the P5 and E series builds. They should be able to easily work together to get the wiring harnesses just right.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if these are actual photos of one of the P5 harnesses. One interesting detail I noticed is that NEWTECH3 happens to be located less than 15 miles from Techosports who will be doing the P5 and E series builds. They should be able to easily work together to get the wiring harnesses just right.

Further evidence of careful planning. Obvious that Paul's 30+ years
in auto engineering are paying off. You get to know who the right
players are.............:)

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be 'fabulous' if these harnesses are for the P5 or "E" Series...... but I kind of 'doubt' it. Probably 'stock photos' of already existing 'production harnesses'. I would 'assume' that the Elio's harness is still a bunch of loose wires.... since things are 'not finalized' yet...... and they would not make 'finished shrink-wrapped' harnesses..... until ALL specs / options were complete.

ICret

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Lower left of the top pic looks like it COULD be an OBDII connector, but hard to tell on my phone.
I agree. In the far upper right, there is a branch with 3 wires, could this be going to the individual solenoids for the spark plugs? Lower photo has 2 grommets, which may indicate that passes thru the fire wall. Could this be evidence that things have moved along further than we know?

ICret

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I agree. In the far upper right, there is a branch with 3 wires, could this be going to the individual solenoids for the spark plugs? Lower photo has 2 grommets, which may indicate that passes thru the fire wall. Could this be evidence that things have moved along further than we know?
I meant to say coils for the spark plugs, not solenoid.

Top Bottom