• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

9/10/14 Tech Talk - See Elio Technology In Action

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors Tech Talk v33
View this email in your browser
83468eef-7e35-4e13-897e-736414932a0d.jpg
Want to see some Elio technology in action? Head to the race track this weekend!

One of the coolest things about auto racing – aside from the fast cars and competition – is that it serves as a living, breathing laboratory for the auto industry. The technology seen on the track often ends up in showrooms and then driveways as new innovations are tested and then brought to market.

It makes sense. Racing components are selected by a simple philosophy: Are they lighter, and do they perform better? Obviously, those attributes are important to Elio Motors. So, having supplier partners such as Peterson Spring actively involved in auto racing is an important aspect in maximizing vehicle efficiency and maintaining performance standards.

Peterson Spring is bringing its expertise to the Elio team in two important areas. First, it provides high-tech suspension springs and shocks to the Elio suspension. Second, it is providing engine valve springs to improve the engine’s ability to convert fuel into power.
f43beaf9-2044-4721-825d-db0677da9901.jpg

Performance Shock Absorber Assembly
5b9929d8-2157-4d52-91e5-d34d2d337bda.jpg

Formed Stabilizer Bar

In both of these areas, weight savings is one of the most important attributes that Peterson Spring brings to the table. Why do weight savings matter? Reducing weight, packaging, and the space required to push a vehicle through the air, all directly increase fuel MPG. With an industry altering goal of 84 MPG, every ounce saved makes a difference.

Peterson Spring likens its technology to the computer industry. In the 1960s, computers took up entire rooms, but their computing power was limited to basic computation. Through innovation, a modern, more powerful computer can now fit into the palm of your hand. Applying this concept to springs, Peterson Spring possesses the ability to reduce the size of a spring and shock by using state of the art materials and race-type processing. This yields an end product that provides a competitive edge to Elio Motors.

Underhood Springs Convert Fuel to Power, Reduce Emissions

While the suspension springs are visible parts of the Elio design, Peterson Spring brings innovation to engine technology as well. Peterson Spring brings the ability to manufacture ultra-efficient and high RPM engine valve springs and other valve train components. Reduced mass or weight plays a significant role in improving the performance of the engine. Allowing an engine valve spring to rev higher improves the engine's ability to convert fuel into power, while also reducing emissions.
View attachment agallery.mailchimp.com_24b371802c83d81776b06aa68_images_7cb1fd2d6b8f4724babd24ff66d177f42fd541.jpg
High Performance Valve Train
Think about how high a dragster revs the engine prior to the green light. Race engines commonly hit more than 11,000 RPM. This harsh environment requires improved thermal efficiency and performance. Passenger vehicle engines are trending in the direction of higher RPMs in smaller engines every model year. Previous limitations didn't allow for the standard automotive engine to achieve this level of performance. Peterson Spring developed processing, tested in race markets and worked to integrate that technology into the automotive market. The Elio vehicle will be utilizing the latest in engine valve train technology and performance selected by Peterson Spring engineers.
653504b6-5eeb-4a53-a402-f43bce864ecd.jpg

Beehive Valve Spring

While the Elio probably won’t win a whole lot of drag races, it will still reach a top speed of more than 100 MPH (though we highly recommend staying within posted speed limits to keep your driving record clean!). The technology developed by Peterson Spring through its racing activities is a big reason why Elio Motors is making great strides in achieving its price, performance and fuel efficiency goals.
23e0b01f-8f1b-46ca-b65c-9b12f2c1b348.jpg

Copyright © 2014 Elio Motors, All rights reserved.
You signed up to receive updates from Elio Motors where you filled out a form including your name and email address!

Our mailing address is:
Elio Motors
2942 North 24th Street
Suite 114-700
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Add us to your address book
open.php?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=a225a1b9f8&e=82ad6a83d3.gif

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This tech talk would be useful and interesting if it said HOW Peterson springs are applying their technology to the Elio. In the absence of any relevant facts, this is empty PR blather, nice for Peterson maybe, buy wholly useless for Elio owners-to-be. Boo!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt the production car will get those coil over shocks.

Yes, those are very nice adjustable coil overs which should be an option. I do expect standard coil overs due to size constraints however the stock models will likely be of the very basic non-adjustable variety.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, those are very nice adjustable coil overs which should be an option. I do expect standard coil overs due to size constraints however the stock models will likely be of the very basic non-adjustable variety.
I distincly remembering one of the Elio guys saying that the adjustable shocks were for testing purposes only. I could see them being an option though to allow for a more sporty suspension for track days... or for 'heavier' loads. Lets face it, when I get into my truck, I only add about 2.3% to the overall weight but when I get into my Elio, I'll be adding 16.8% to the weight. That could mean that my weight has almost 8 times the effect on my Elio as it does on my truck.... Some people will probably be adding quite a bit more weight.. We can't have Elios sagging now, can we?

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good information, BUT I'd rather see a photo of the suspension ON an actual Elio "E" Series vehicle, or the valve springs on an 'operating' IAV Engine......... WHEN........ probably NOT soon!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If adjustables are an option, it would be worth having them. But nowhere did the article say that ANY of the pictured items was for an Elio.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If adjustables are an option, it would be worth having them. But nowhere did the article say that ANY of the pictured items was for an Elio.

You are correct and thats why I did not say that the items in the pictures would be an option but instead I said that nice adjustable coil overs should be an option.:)

Top Bottom