• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

9/3/2014 Tech Talk - Fifteen Fun Facts About Elio Motors And Its 84 Mpg, $6,800 Vehicle

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
83468eef-7e35-4e13-897e-736414932a0d.jpg
Fifteen Fun Facts About Elio Motors and its 84 MPG, $6,800 Vehicle

We know the mere fact that you are a fan of Elio Motors probably makes you a hit at neighborhood gatherings. But, if you really want to impress all those around you, perhaps you’d like to know a little more Elio Motors trivia…and we use the word trivia slightly in jest…as many of these facts are important to our success and ultimately the Elio ownership experience.

So, here are a few fun facts about Elio Motors:
  • The vehicle only comes with one door. Of course, this seems like a novelty. But, it was also very practical. From a design and engineering standpoint, doors require more parts and complexity. Eliminating the second door saves about $200 per vehicle. This and many other similar engineering decisions are a big part of how we are able to manufacture the low-cost Elio.
1_Elio_Sour_Apple_3quarterview.98fb377.jpg

• Though the vehicle is incredibly fuel efficient, it still has a top speed of over 100 MPH. It is no small task to develop an engine that delivers that combination of fuel efficiency and speed. Having a world-class development partner in IAV provides the technology and expertise that will make this a reality.
  • CEO Paul Elio was once a New York City cab driver. Because he met so many interesting people in the course of a day, he called it “the most fun job I’ve ever had.” But, we have a theory. By the time the vehicle rolls off the assembly line, this job will have jumped to the top of the pack – in large part due to how much he enjoys interacting with Elio fans.

adce32c1-e848-444f-abc0-58815fa4fedf.jpg

• Elio Motors’ vehicle will be more environmentally friendly than a year’s worth of one cow's flatulence. Here’s the science:
    • One cow produces 242 lbs. of methane a year through burps and flatulence. Methane traps 20 times more heat than CO2 over a 100-year period. (SOURCE: Get Green Living) In a year, the average cow will emit 4,840 lbs. of CO2 equivalent greenhouses gases.
    • Elio Motors vehicle, driven 20,000 miles, will emit only 4,500 lbs. of CO2. So… the Elio is more environmentally friendly than cow farts.
  • The Elio Motors tour has racked up more than 70,000 highway miles traveling from state to state (on our Cooper all-season tires!). So what’s the most commonly replaced road item? Shoes. The average team member is on their feet up to 60 hours a week…if only Cooper made insoles!
  • The Elio, because it has three wheels, is classified by the government as a motorcycle. What’s the advantage to an Elio owner? They can drive the vehicle in the HOV/Express lane without a passenger. Now you are saving time and money!
  • Elio Motors’ nationwide tour has been to more than 80 cities in 28 states. Hopefully, many of you have had an opportunity to visit one of our tour stops. If not, keep an eye on the web site and hopefully, we’ll hit your town soon.
  • At highway speeds, the Elio can go a projected 672 miles on a single tank of gas. Someone who lives in Los Angeles, CA can head out to Las Vegas, NV for a fun weekend, and still have enough gas to get home should lady luck be less than gracious. For the east coast folks, Detroit, MI to New York, NY on a single tank.
  • The Elio will be manufactured at a facility in Shreveport, La. It is a former General Motors plant where they produced the Hummer H3 and Colorado pick-up trucks. Obviously, this facility is a huge advantage for Elio Motors. Building on a greenfield site would have been a significant investment and probably would have impacted vehicle price. And, the expertise of the people in Shreveport will allow us to hit the ground running.
0190f830-b6f5-4be0-a8da-4a8a4d2e8d9c.jpg

• The Elio is extremely popular with people who also have an affinity for airplanes. The cockpit-like interior and futuristic styling are as close as you can come to flying without leaving the ground.
elio11_interior2.jpg

• At $6,800, the Elio will cost approximately 4.5 times less than the average new car. At 84 MPG, the Elio will get nearly three times better gas mileage than the average vehicle.
  • Why does a vehicle like the Elio make so much sense? According to the United States Census Bureau, 76.3 percent of all commuters drive to work alone. Why waste six or seven empty seats in a gas guzzling SUV or minivan?
  • Elio Motors is very unique in the auto world as we will have our Power Train division on-site at the Shreveport manufacturing facility. Typically power train plants are built to support multiple vehicles that utilize the same engine. Since Elio Motors is dedicated to one engine, our ability to build it onsite helps tremendously with quality, delivery and cost objectives. All of which are a critical strategic processing advantage.
  • Elio Motors will utilize some unique painting process as well. Priming consists of the dip process of the body frame for anti-corrosion and the color side for painting the body panels utilizing an environmentally friendly “dry process.”
  • Finally, Elio Motors supplier partnerships and how we work together is a unique competitive advantage. Our “Supplier Summits” allow our suppliers to work closely together to develop cost effective design and manufacturing solutions. Ultimately, this structure helps control costs and quality.
http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=c3ca19a865

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This Tech Talk was written for people like me. I appreciate the more technical Tech Talks but rarely understand much of what they are about. I am sure there will be many people on here who will consider this fluff but please try to remember, we count too. My favorite statement:
  • Elio Motors is very unique in the auto world as we will have our Power Train division on-site at the Shreveport manufacturing facility. Typically power train plants are built to support multiple vehicles that utilize the same engine. Since Elio Motors is dedicated to one engine, our ability to build it onsite helps tremendously with quality, delivery and cost objectives. All of which are a critical strategic processing advantage.
There have been so many posts discussing engine and power train and this very plainly explains why EM is doing this the way they are. I am sure many of you will be disappointed with this statement but as a low income future owner, I appreciate very, very much the thought and planning that is going to make the Elio affordable to me.

Thank you Elio Motors for making this possible. :) Z

Last edited:

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio will be manufactured at a facility in Shreveport, La. It is a former General Motors plant where they produced the Hummer H3 and Colorado pick-up trucks. Obviously, this facility is a huge advantage for Elio Motors. Building on a greenfield site would have been a significant investment and probably would have impacted vehicle price. And, the expertise of the people in Shreveport will allow us to hit the ground running.

When did the GM plant close? I wonder how many of the former employees will actually be available for employment next summer.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
When did the GM plant close? I wonder how many of the former employees will actually be available for employment next summer.
The last vehicle rolled off the GM line in August of 2012.

As for how many former GM workers will be available that is a very good question. If the pay is decent I can see EM finding enough former employees to a least fill team lead positions and sprinkle experienced assembly workers throughout the line. With experienced people working in key places it should make getting all the new people up to speed much easier.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Also, unfortunately for GM, this was one of their most advanced manufacturing plants. Advantage to Elio? They'll start off with one of the most advanced assembly lines if not THE most advanced assembly lines in the US.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, unfortunately for GM, this was one of their most advanced manufacturing plants. Advantage to Elio? They'll start off with one of the most advanced assembly lines if not THE most advanced assembly lines in the US.

Excellent point Ty!

For those who may not know Ty is an Industrial Engineer who actually worked in the GM Shreveport plant so he would know the state the of the assembly lines and how it compares to other plants. To further add to this we also know that while the plant dates back to 1981 the current assembly building only dates to 2002 and was built as part of a $1.2 billion dollar plant upgrade. The plant was updated again at a cost of over $250 million in 2005 and again in 2008 at a cost of $73 million. So up until the economy hit the skids GM had invested over $1.5 billion in this plant just since 2002.

As Ty said this plant is a great deal for Elio Motors. It is no accident that EM focused on it as it already contains most of the equipment they need for production. This plant already has a modern chassis 'dip' anti-corrosion treatment facility, a robotic frame assembly area, one of the most modern automotive paint shops in the industry, the equipment needed to stamp the composite body panels as GM used similar composite materials for bumper covers and various other interior and exterior trims pieces.

Some people have asked if the plant was stripped by GM on the way out and the answer is no. As part of GM's bankruptcy this plant was kept intact by "RACER Trust", which is better known as "Old GM', and was leased to "New GM' for continued use. As a result when GM decided to end production in 2012 they were not allowed to strip the plant as that lowers the value of the plant so it is not allowed under the terms of GM's bankruptcy.

Last edited:

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Excellent point Ty!

For those who may not know Ty is an Industrial Engineer who actually worked in the GM Shreveport plant so he would know the state the of the assembly lines and how it compares to other plants. To further add to this we also know that while the plant dates back to 1981 the current assembly building only dates to 2002 and was built as part of a $1.2 billion dollar plant upgrade. The plant was updated again at a cost of over $250 million in 2005 and again in 2008 at a cost of $73 million. So up until the economy hit the skids GM had invested over $1.5 billion in this plant just since 2002.

As Ty said this plant is a great deal for Elio Motors. It is no accident that EM focused on it as it already contains most of the equipment they need for production. This plant already has a modern chassis 'dip' anti-corrosion treatment facility, a robotic frame assembly area, one of the most modern automotive paint shops in the industry, an engine machining and assembly area, the equipment needed to stamp the composite body panels as GM used similar composite materials for bumper covers and various other interior and exterior trims pieces.

Some people have asked if the plant was stripped by GM on the way out and the answer is no. As part of GM's bankruptcy this plant was kept intact by "RACER Trust", which is better known as "Old GM', and was leased to "New GM' for continued use. As a result when GM decided to end production in 2012 they were not allowed to strip the plant as that lowers the value of the plant so it is not allowed under the terms of GM's bankruptcy.
Thanks for explaining. I knew the plant was a "gold mine", but I haven't heard some of these details. It's probably been discussed before – but I wonder how much effort and time it would take to make the line ready to produce our vehicles? Is most of the equipment easily adaptable? I've only walked through one assembly plant, and boy did it look overwhelming!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining. I knew the plant was a "gold mine", but I haven't heard some of these details. It's probably been discussed before – but I wonder how much effort and time it would take to make the line ready to produce our vehicles? Is most of the equipment easily adaptable? I've only walked through one assembly plant, and boy did it look overwhelming!

Modern plant equipment is designed to be very flexible and accommodate the building of several vehicle models simultaneously on the same assembly line so this equipment will be reconfigurable for Elio Motors use. We know EM is working with GM's equipment and tooling supplier, Comau, on planning this plant to best take advantage of what is already in the plant and also to decide what they will not need and can sell to raise funds.

All that being said the truth is that reconfiguring a plant is never inexpensive as evidenced by GM's need to invest so much money to build and keep this plant updated. The bulk of the money Elio Motors is seeking at this time is for the plant as the estimates I have seen put the cost of reconfiguring and tooling the plant in excess of $120 million.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Modern plant equipment is designed to be very flexible and accommodate the building of several vehicle models simultaneously on the same assembly line so this equipment will be reconfigurable for Elio Motors use. We know EM is working with GM's equipment and tooling supplier, Comau, on planning this plant to best take advantage of what is already in the plant and also to decide what they will not need and can sell to raise funds.

All that being said the truth is that reconfiguring a plant is never inexpensive as evidenced by GM's need to invest so much money to build and keep this plant updated. The bulk of the money Elio Motors is seeking at this time is for the plant as the estimates I have seen put the cost of reconfiguring and tooling the plant in excess of $120 million.
Sounds like if a new car company could start up… it would be at Shreveport for sure.

The more I hear, the more I like. I appreciate all of you guys sharing info.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This looks more like a blog post than a tech talk to me...

On an unrelated note - it seems I'm not getting any of these emails.
Is there a separate mailing list to opt-in?

Top Bottom