• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Now Getting Serious About Manufacturing ...

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But ... $100 million in tooling just to produce the short block? Where is that kind of capital coming from? Sure hope the Chinese guy with the motorcycle background MEANT his order for 125,000 Elios. As someone says in the video above, 100 million is an awful lot of 6800's (14,785 cars, or thereabouts) and that ONLY covers the tooling for the engine block. So to reach break-even, Elio has to sell a boatload of cars -- and my guess is that there will be a ton of highly profitable after-market options for the car. You get a fair deal for your $6800, but to make the car really nice -- add another 3,000 to your 6800.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But ... $100 million in tooling just to produce the short block? Where is that kind of capital coming from? Sure hope the Chinese guy with the motorcycle background MEANT his order for 125,000 Elios. As someone says in the video above, 100 million is an awful lot of 6800's (14,785 cars, or thereabouts) and that ONLY covers the tooling for the engine block. So to reach break-even, Elio has to sell a boatload of cars -- and my guess is that there will be a ton of highly profitable after-market options for the car. You get a fair deal for your $6800, but to make the car really nice -- add another 3,000 to your 6800.
That $100M would be IAV's cost of tooling, right? They could produce the engine block for more than just Elio I would think. You are right that $100M is a LOT of Elios!

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That $100M would be IAV's cost of tooling, right? They could produce the engine block for more than just Elio I would think. You are right that $100M is a LOT of Elios!
Wouldn't the $100M be IAV's cost of doing business and figure into the price of the motor?

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wouldn't the $100M be IAV's cost of doing business and figure into the price of the motor?

Gino didn't mention Comau. IAV is doing the design work. Comau is doing the mfg.
As Jerome stated, Comau did the engine machining at the Shreveport plant. Comau
has surveyed the plant & their tooling is still there & up to the tasks at hand. All of
this cuts the cost curve. With the Chinese order in Paul's back pocket (sure hope he
has it in writing) it makes things really interesing around the Private Placement table..... :)

Top Bottom