• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Swap?

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: There are many technologies widely available in production cars today which IAV could add to the EM engine to improve both power output and fuel efficiency however these technologies also cost more which goes against the low cost goal.

Compromise in engineering, as in most things, is necessary to move
forward.............. :cool:

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's out of a refer unit, so it needs some work for a mobile system first. Oil filters, lift pump, water pump pulley, fan, radiator, battery, oil pan that doesn't weigh 30lbs... Then all the work to mate it to a transmission. It'll likely be put in a home built Aluminum tube framed car as a mid engine RWD with a VW TDI drivetrain. I'm glad I live in a state where I can put just about any engine into my car without worrying about smog or visual inspection.

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Kubota's is not structural, they make a variety of oil pans for different applications. Being out of a Carrier Transicold refer unit this one contains a gallon of oil and is a thick aluminum or cast iron pan. Kubota makes a pan for riding mower applications which would be much better for a project like I'm planning.

Check out Kubota's for that mower man, unless there's a very specific reason you want a Perkins, they're easy to find and often cheap.

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
There are several guys talking about this in the Elio Motors Owners Association on FB... plus there are a couple of companies that I heard of that will be making a turbo kit for the IAV engine ... lots of room in the engine compartment since it is a big crumple zone

I must warn anyone that IAV has specifically noted that their current design is NOT built ruggedly enough for a
forced induction system ( turbo or supercharger). Beefing up the engine will be required before Elio would offer a turbo version.

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I imagine that forged rods and pistons should allow it to make up to 100hp with a turbo and a tune. A weak engine has never stopped people from throwing F/I or NOS for a bit of extra performance. At least with the elio the engine will be the weak point and, probably, not the differential like my last car.

Top Bottom