• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

If Elio Said They Must Raise Base Price At What Point Would You Pull Out?

Juney

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
This has been at the back of my mind for a while. If due to production costs, extraneous expenses, etc. and say the base price escalated to double the expected base price would I still buy? It would still be a cost effective vehicle albeit would take a little more time to see a 'return' on my investment. And seeing Elios success in producing such a vehicle inspire others to try to create a vehicle at the original price in order under sell the Elio? Hmmmm..just daydreaming..

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Currently, there is no other HOV allowed, covered, climate controlled, high mileage vehicle on the market. (That I am aware of). So it really has no competition. So as far as a tipping point on the price? Tough to say. If it gets too expensive or if it is really popular, I would think other companies would enter the market, thus bringing competition and perhaps a lowered price.
What's going to be tough for me is if (when) we do get these vehicles, if in a year one of the biggies (Toyota?) comes out with their version and it's better. Now we're stuck with an inferior product; albeit a cool, pioneering, original, but I'm in it for the practicality not the coolness factor.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What's going to be tough for me is if (when) we do get these vehicles, if in a year one of the biggies (Toyota?) comes out with their version and it's better. Now we're stuck with an inferior product; albeit a cool, pioneering, original, but I'm in it for the practicality not the coolness factor.

if/when EM is producing anywhere near 250,000 a year, I can see one of the big boys trying to market a trike .... I can see them building one that has more glitz and with a nice dash (
oops.gif
sorry.gif
) .... what I can't see is them being able to sell it at anywhere close to the price .... the overhead of their dealership network alone would preclude being able to do so

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
if/when EM is producing anywhere near 250,000 a year, I can see one of the big boys trying to market a trike .... I can see them building one that has more glitz and with a nice dash (
oops.gif
sorry.gif
) .... what I can't see is them being able to sell it at anywhere close to the price .... the overhead of their dealership network alone would preclude being able to do so
I hope you're correct, but with the CAFE credits, they may be willing to sell almost at cost, like I think Tesla is doing.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I hope you're correct, but with the CAFE credits, they may be willing to sell almost at cost, like I think Tesla is doing.

that's certainly true but unless EM makes a 180 degree in corporate structure and marketing outlets, the production cost of the big boys has to be significantly higher .... where they do have an edge is with producing other lines, the big boys could actually sell at a loss in an effort to eliminate competition and then raise prices later

pohutukawa

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I am figuring my end cost at about $11k. Base, TT&L, upgrades, one-way travel costs (I'm definitely planning on picking up at the factory door, if that is possible). I hope it doesn't go much higher than that. By the time I get it, I have a high likelihood of being retired, and the 94 Saturn keeps having stuff go wrong. I need an occasional 2nd car, and the Elio is my plan for the next many years. Not many miles to be put on it, probably. Gotta go put my 2-wheeler in 49 states before I can slow down...

Top Bottom