• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mirrors And Other "cheap" Stuff

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking, would removing the side mirrors and replacing them with rear view cameras built into the doors, would that cut down on the wind drag in that area, which would get the Elio even better mpg? or at least a better wind drag ratio in that area?

Or would removing the side mirrors have no effect, on the wind drag ratio of the Elio?

The early model of the VW LT1 had side mirrors and they changed them over to cameras, which got them a better gas mpg, because of the better wind drag ratio...

But one (1) VW LT 1 which only 200 are going to be made, and they costs about 28-29 Elio's, so if you got a lot of cash, get one of the $200,000, VW LT1's which gets about 265 mpg, so you can save a little gas money... it has no guts... 0-60... 13 seconds.... not my kind of car...

Proud to be a .... Elio owner... soon!

jrm_cr_fl

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of aftermarket add-ons, I have been looking at radios and some of them (the ones with pop up LED screens) come with a license plate frame with built-in camera included with the radio. I don't know if these are for backing up only or whether they can be used all the time. I'm still researching these. They wouldn't replace the side mirrors though, but since the Elio has no rear-view mirror, this would help.

stacy

Reaction score
Speaking of aftermarket add-ons, I have been looking at radios and some of them (the ones with pop up LED screens) come with a license plate frame with built-in camera included with the radio. I don't know if these are for backing up only or whether they can be used all the time. I'm still researching these. They wouldn't replace the side mirrors though, but since the Elio has no rear-view mirror, this would help.

I have rear cams with 3.5" screens that sit on the dash in my pick up and 2006 crossfire, which has a rear window but no real rear visibility. Basically for back up use only, you wire the sending unit to the back up lights. Otherwise you could wire them into the taillights and they stay on all the time when your lights were on. I don't think the screen is robust enough for that, but it sure helps me see what's behind me.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a backup camera for my Suburban, makes hooking the jetboat much easier. Most, if not all, stereos available with a backup camera input have a safety built in so the monitor only plays a video signal when the car is in reverse. There are loopholes, you just need to find the right code for a particular stereo to disable the safety. I have my camera on quite a bit; displays the camera video while listening to music too.

Some newer stereos don't even need the larger 7" motorized or fixed double DIN displays either. I just picked up a single DIN stereo for my GMC motorhome ($85 on Amazon) that has a 3.2" fixed display with a camera input. Also has 2 video outs so I can send the video signal to a larger monitor if desired.

There are many low cost options available. Even the wireless cameras are pretty cheap these days.

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that the "crappy" mirrors on the P4 can't be adjusted from inside...notice that there are no side window defogging vents on the dash. I wonder if there is a heat vent to the back seat? (I rather doubt it).

IMO "Inexpensive" shouldn't mean "cheap"

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Notice the door edge trim does not follow through to the back window. I hope they correct this stuff in the final product. It looks unfinished. Frankly, I am surprised to see it in the prototype.

upload_2014-2-25_18-18-4.png

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Notice the door edge trim does not follow through to the back window. I hope they correct this stuff in the final product. It looks unfinished. Frankly, I am surprised to see it in the prototype.

View attachment 207
It's a prototype. I'm not surprised at all. I would be concerned if production was scheduled to begin next month.

Top Bottom