• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tech Talk April 16, 2014

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio_TechTalk_Header5ee076.jpg

Wheel Fairings: Aerodynamically Designed

The Elio wheel fairings have been one of the most widely discussed topics among the Elio Motors reservation holders. So much so that this week’s Tech Talk is dedicated solely to this one aspect of the Elio.

For those who have been monitoring the evolution of the Elio exterior styling, you are aware that the fairings have been slightly modified with each Prototype. The latest production design direction is primarily based on how best to improve the aerodynamics.

The high mile per gallon requirement drove the design team to revise the fairings in order to provide the least resistant airflow while still having a design that was complimentary to the body styling. The fairings’ NACA shape is absolutely critical to reduce drag on the vehicle and maintain the highest mileage possible. The Elio engineers are still in the process of honing the final aerodynamic shape of the fairing, but the overall theme of the styling won’t change significantly. While a fairing of this nature is fairly unique compared to most vehicles on the road, the reality is our overall vehicle styling and layout is equally unexpected alongside vehicles on the road today. Therefore, this design execution is yet further confirmation that the styling is an appropriate fit.

Creamsicle_Elio_Revised_CAD.26_4cf91b4952f055e378ad0be271407d111af2e5.jpg

The closed NACA shaped fairing on the P4 provides the needed level of aerodynamics
Rendering_sourapple.45.jpg

The wheel fairings in P3 was less aerodynamic and compromised the goal of 84 MPG

Performance in Snow
So, how do the wheel fairings perform in snow? The soon-to-be-released Elio video will demonstrate how well it handles in more compromising weather conditions. Keeping in mind that the Elio in the video is a prototype, that fact alone further builds confidence that the Elio will provide the same reliable traction as in other front-wheel drive vehicles.

One of the reasons snow-pack is problematic on standard vehicles is that the buildup causes an interference with the turning and jolting of the wheels. Because the fairings turn with the wheels, and the suspension is independent of the fairing, neither of these are a concern. There is also an inner fender liner for both the front wheels and rear wheel that is designed to accommodate chains. The distance between the liner and the tire has been designed in such a way to minimize snow build up. Although the attachment scheme of the fairing is still a work in progress, the goal is to make it as easy to remove as possible for maintenance and tire access.
Drag99c7c3.jpg

The direction of airflow over the NACA fairing

Elio_Footer268585.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand that the rear has as removable section and it looks like they've made it black-- perhaps to imitate a black wheel so it looks more standard, perhaps because it'll be cheaper or more durable than a painted, removable panel... Whatever. However, it's my understanding that the front fenders will come off as a whole unit (using those two tube-type of connectors). It seems that it would be more simple to manufacture the front fenders in one stamping (or molding) and just painting the whole thing body color. Any thoughts on why they've stuck with the black panel up front? To look like a black tire, perhaps?

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand that the rear has as removable section and it looks like they've made it black-- perhaps to imitate a black wheel so it looks more standard, perhaps because it'll be cheaper or more durable than a painted, removable panel... Whatever. However, it's my understanding that the front fenders will come off as a whole unit (using those two tube-type of connectors). It seems that it would be more simple to manufacture the front fenders in one stamping (or molding) and just painting the whole thing body color. Any thoughts on why they've stuck with the black panel up front? To look like a black tire, perhaps?
I am going to see the P4 on 4/22 in Nashville. I will check that out on the front and rear fender fairings.

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Excellent. I'm curious as to whether they are the same type of composite as the body panels or more of an inexpensive panel like the plastic in truck bed liners.
Hopefully they are heavy duty, since the fairings will need take years of punishment with every bouncing move the wheels make.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully they are heavy duty, since fairings will need take years of punishment with every bouncing move the wheels make.
So true... so true. At least they'll be easy to replace if/when the time comes. If the body doesn't fade like the front end of so many Miata's do, it shouldn't be too hard to match them up to replace them. Of course, you could always put a different color fender on there... hmm... Take some pictures and enjoy your visit.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is only an Assumption with no OEM fact but I would guess that one of the reasons those areas of the front and rear fenders are not finish painted is that these are going to be high wear areas. IE. All snow, massive amounts of water, rocks, etc will be pummeling these areas at driving speed. To have the trailing edge of this fender area all chipped up only weeks after taking possession would have most pulling their hair out. Add to that with the rear panel removable for service it will get bent and flex many times over its life which could be rough on any applied paint product. All of this is again personal opinion. Nothing is fact or submitted as such. I'm fine with what ever they offer.
True. I didn't think about the paint flexing and remember the Miatas weird fading problem. It would probably be hard to mold the plastic in a color that would fade the same as the paint on the rest of the vehicle.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Also as I pointed out in an unrelated thread the rear will have the "grill" like pattern molded in in order to give it some structure.

Some of the custom Photoshops change this to a smooth panel. You'll have to fabricate this yourself if you want to go that direction.

10014264_10202450110832278_629381246_o.jpg

This one's friggen' brilliant because it not only uses them but makes the best of them.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are you saying this "grill pattern molded" is fact or something you plan to do? I have not seen anywhere from EM that they plan to do this?? Not saying I don't like it just haven't seen them make this statement or claim.
I haven't seen it in B&W I'm just applying logic. Its been on every prototype in one form or another. It will be a highly flexible part. It has no framework supporting as it needs to be easily removed to facilitate rear tire maintenance. If you want this smooth I'm certain you'll have to replace the factory part and you'll have to work out how to keep it from flapping in the breeze.

Top Bottom