• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The first - ever all - electric Blazer EV

Interested

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
We will always need oil for the foreseeable future because it is used for lubrication and to make plastic. Gasoline will eventually be phased out but that might take another 30 to fifty years. The infrastructure that gasoline has, makes it widely available. Hydrogen does not have the infrastructure. Realistically the electrical system cannot handle a large-scale conversion to electric vehicles. It will need upgrades, which are being worked on. Solar powered vehicles sound like a good idea, but the cells are not efficient enough yet and the costs are high. They are making better and better cells though. Maybe soon. The biggest issue is how to store energy. Gasoline has a good energy density but is explosive. Hydrogen requires high pressure storage. Electricity requires some type of battery. Batteries for vehicles have design issues. Until a common battery design is developed, and the patents expire so everyone is basically the same, they will end up obsolete quickly. Right now, it is possible to put a Chevy engine in a Ford as an example. But putting a battery system in a different vehicle would be beyond most people's abilities. For this generation of electric vehicles most will end up being scrapped when the batteries fail. The future vehicles will probably end up being leased or rented so that they can be replaced on a more frequent basis. My current ride is a 1998 Plymouth Voyager. I can still get parts for it. Would I like an electric vehicle to take its place? Yes, but not at current prices. My house is worth about $150,000 and I'm retired, so why would I want to spend so much on a vehicle that will most likely drop in value? The BEX from Mark would be a better investment. Less expensive, parts available, and probably fun to drive.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was interested and compelled to experience the ownership of an EV back in 2020. It’s nearly worth as much now as when I bought it. It’s my favorite car in terms of performance, handling, and driver comfort in my 60 years of owning vehicles and has nothing to do with environmental concerns.. The only service during that 3 year period was a tire rotation and I watched the mobile tech do the service in my driveway. EV batteries are designed to outlast the body of the car itself. This means they should retain useable driving capacity well beyond 500,000 miles. The EV seems like a good investment, based on the total cost of lifetime savings on gas, repair, and routine maintenance Compared to ICE vehicles.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We will always need oil for the foreseeable future because it is used for lubrication and to make plastic. Gasoline will eventually be phased out but that might take another 30 to fifty years. The infrastructure that gasoline has, makes it widely available. Hydrogen does not have the infrastructure. Realistically the electrical system cannot handle a large-scale conversion to electric vehicles. It will need upgrades, which are being worked on. Solar powered vehicles sound like a good idea, but the cells are not efficient enough yet and the costs are high. They are making better and better cells though. Maybe soon. The biggest issue is how to store energy. Gasoline has a good energy density but is explosive. Hydrogen requires high pressure storage. Electricity requires some type of battery. Batteries for vehicles have design issues. Until a common battery design is developed, and the patents expire so everyone is basically the same, they will end up obsolete quickly. Right now, it is possible to put a Chevy engine in a Ford as an example. But putting a battery system in a different vehicle would be beyond most people's abilities. For this generation of electric vehicles most will end up being scrapped when the batteries fail. The future vehicles will probably end up being leased or rented so that they can be replaced on a more frequent basis. My current ride is a 1998 Plymouth Voyager. I can still get parts for it. Would I like an electric vehicle to take its place? Yes, but not at current prices. My house is worth about $150,000 and I'm retired, so why would I want to spend so much on a vehicle that will most likely drop in value? The BEX from Mark would be a better investment. Less expensive, parts available, and probably fun to drive.
If the battery fails and the EV is still in good condition………replace the battery. It may cost less than replacing an engine/drivetrain.
Cost comparison:
1696429676833.jpeg

Top Bottom