• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would like to see a quick release for the back seat, so if someone wants to go on a trip by themselves they will have more room for storage and will not have the weight of an unused seat.

The seat will fold down flat. Lear is manufacturing the seats; they produce very nice seats for aircraft, where using lightweight materials is the norm.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would like them figure out a way to add a 1 inch square tube trailer hitch so we could pull a small motorcycle trailer on extended trips. Yes this will cut down on the mileage, but would be happy getting anything over 50 or 60 MPG on vacation.
Did Elio mention what the towing capacity will be?

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did Elio mention what the towing capacity will be?
Given the fact that the gross vehicle weight with passengers and cargo will very likely be 1,750# or less, I wouldn't expect them to allow more than 750#. Possibly as little as 500#. Remember, it isn't so much about how much you can pull, it's also about how much can you safely stop. I wouldn't expect to get the official towing capacity until after the Production Prototype has been on the road for a while.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a tent trailer for my former touring bike. Prob weighed 350-400lbs, opened to a ~6x10.5' area, had a dinette and a 'full' size wing (maybe it was double bed sized). Bike weight was similar to the Elio, ~1075lbs dry weight. 1984 Kawi Voyager 1300 (6cyl. w/digital fuel injection).
Towed it just fine, but it produced more than 55hp/60tq.

Coda1

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, it isn't so much about how much you can pull, it's also about how much can you safely stop.

In addition to stopping you want the tow vehicle to have enough weight that when driving down the interstate at 70mph you are in control of the trailer and not the other way around. I had a camper start fishtailing to the point that tires on the truck and/or camper were squealing. Not a experience I would like to repeat. I don't think you would want to pull much more then about 500lbs with the Elio. Having only one wheel in the back might affect how it tows also.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In addition to stopping you want the tow vehicle to have enough weight that when driving down the interstate at 70mph you are in control of the trailer and not the other way around. I had a camper start fishtailing to the point that tires on the truck and/or camper were squealing. Not a experience I would like to repeat. I don't think you would want to pull much more then about 500lbs with the Elio. Having only one wheel in the back might affect how it tows also.

I half way don’t expect EM to stick their necks out and recommend any towing at all.

Top Bottom