• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree, considering the low weight and only a single rear point of traction.
Maybe, maybe, maybe, with a trailer brake. Hard on the front brakes and the trailer pushing, could cause the tail to lift up off the ground just a little and cause a jack knife.

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Honda Insight is not warranted for a trailer hitch, but I DO have a hitch on it. I keep the tongue weight very low on a very light trailer (Harbor Freight) and drive as smoothly as possible.

Elio, I'm sure would not be warranted for a hitch, even if the aftermarket could build a hitch off available hard points.

If/when the aftermarket builds one for Elio, I'd only go with the Uni-Go single wheel type trailer for it, weighing only 70# and an aero profile that would compliment Elio.

http://www.uni-go.com/

Last edited:

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Honda Insight is not warranted for a trailer hitch, but I DO have a hitch on it. Elio, I'm sure would not be warranted for a hitch, either.
If/when the aftermarket builds one for Elio, I'd only go with the Uni-Go single wheel type trailer for it.

http://www.uni-go.com/
Elio has stated that they're incorporating 'hard points' into the design in order to facilitate the addition of a trailer hitch.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio has stated that they're incorporating 'hard points' into the design in order to facilitate the addition of a trailer hitch.

I too will have a hitch installed but there is a note of caution here. The hitch will likely be an aftermarket option as this way EM can easily claim that even though it has hard points for hitch installation that they do not provide any warranty for damage caused by towing and you install a hitch and tow at your own risk. As an example, the Honda Goldwing motorcycle is designed to make hitch installation easy with just a few hand tools however if you read the manual it specifically says that towing is not recommended and that the manufacturer is not responsible for damage caused by doing so.

When we do start towing we will really have to watch our tow weight. A good rule of thumb for very light vehicles is the loaded trailer should not exceed 1/3 the vehicle weight to ensure a stable ride. This means that, based on current weight estimates, 400 lbs is about the maximum weight I would consider towing with the Elio.

Last edited:

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are these from the tech talk newsletters? Just asking, as I haven't read any of this, but have only been an Elio fan/follower for a week.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
. . . When we do start towing we will really have to watch our tow weight. A good rule of thumb for very light vehicles is the loaded trailer should not exceed 1/3 the vehicle weight to ensure a stable ride. This means that, based on current weight estimates, 400 lbs is about the maximum weight I would consider towing with the Elio.
I agree completely because I consider everything that you mention to be within the realm of my own 'due diligence'.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is what I am planning: a small cargo trailer for as little as $350 from Northern Tool holding a hard, lockable cargo carrier like you'd see on a minivan. Lightweight and versatile
trailer1.jpg

This is exactly what I plan on putting together. I have seen similar trailers available brand new for $200 and they only weigh about 140lbs. Just add the cargo carrier and there is plenty of room to store gear for two people yet still keep the weight down. Plus you can't really beat the price.

Last edited:

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have one started, just looking for the right shell, as I tow with my Sporty, as well. Going to put diamond plate aluminum on the floor and pin around it, as well.

Top Bottom