• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2017 Production A Long Shot...

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I visited ELIO facebook website just now and picked out an interesting reply from ELIO MOTORS when asked when actual production will start. Here's EM's reply verbatim:
ELIO MOTORS "Hello______, we'll be able to start production after we build and test the E-series testing vehicles (being built right now), build and test the 100 pre-production fleet sales (planned to start being built this December), and RAISE the remaining funds to tool up our Shreveport plant."

So, there's no fund as of yet to tool up the plant let alone pay for the parts and materials that compose the entire ELIO trike....and it's engine! It's obvious that they have the funds to build the e-series, it's also obvious that from these statements, the 100 fleet sales will NOT be built at Shreveport because they don't have the funds to TOOL up the plant. So unless I missed something, who and where will these 100 pre-prod be built? Will EM comes up with "more" pre-prod to be built in Shreveport assembly line once they acquire the funds? Or should EM had worded it "raise the remaining funds to tool up the Shreveport plant...THEN build and test the 100 pre-production fleet sales"???

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I visited ELIO facebook website just now and picked out an interesting reply from ELIO MOTORS when asked when actual production will start. Here's EM's reply verbatim:
ELIO MOTORS "Hello______, we'll be able to start production after we build and test the E-series testing vehicles (being built right now), build and test the 100 pre-production fleet sales (planned to start being built this December), and RAISE the remaining funds to tool up our Shreveport plant."

So, there's no fund as of yet to tool up the plant let alone pay for the parts and materials that compose the entire ELIO trike....and it's engine! It's obvious that they have the funds to build the e-series, it's also obvious that from these statements, the 100 fleet sales will NOT be built at Shreveport because they don't have the funds to TOOL up the plant. So unless I missed something, who and where will these 100 pre-prod be built? Will EM comes up with "more" pre-prod to be built in Shreveport assembly line once they acquire the funds? Or should EM had worded it "raise the remaining funds to tool up the Shreveport plant...THEN build and test the 100 pre-production fleet sales"???
I noticed the said about the 100 pre-production vehicles "planned to start being built this December". I thought they were going to be delivered in December, not start building them in December. Unless they can start and complete building and deliver them all in one month, December which is usually not a good month for getting things done.

Originally they were to start delivery to we buyers in December, then deliver preproduction fleet vehicles in December, now it is start building preproduction vehicles in December. What is next? Start ordering parts in December?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've already anticipated delays and so have most who have been around. But plans are plans and raising funding has always been the key to production. I still believe production will begin in the summer of 2017, but it depends on the ATVM loan and how quickly they can get alternate funding if it falls through. As an optimist, I see that it can still happen, but as a pragmatist, I understand it might not. But I haven't become a pessimist and think it will not happen.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've already anticipated delays and so have most who have been around. But plans are plans and raising funding has always been the key to production. I still believe production will begin in the summer of 2017, but it depends on the ATVM loan and how quickly they can get alternate funding if it falls through. As an optimist, I see that it can still happen, but as a pragmatist, I understand it might not. But I haven't become a pessimist and think it will not happen.
We are all riding the "bubbles" :p

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like to think I'm also an optimist and a big realist! Nobody had anticipated this long delay due to funding issues and some are ok to wait it out no matter how long it takes and I get it but understand this, the cost of building it will only be higher and for people like me that wanted a low cost sub-8K personal transportation will surely be in for a big disappointment. Glass half empty??? Time will tell if 2017 is our year! ;)

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Nothing "new" with that info. Last year when EM filed with the SEC they were pretty clear that after their Reg A fundraising they would continue to need to raise money for production, at the time $240 million and as of the latest filing I believe $300 million there was a significant increase in the line for production tooling that accounted for most of that difference. Elio Motors also described in their timeline not vigorously pursuing funding in the time period between when Reg A ended and the start of E series build.
To date EM is still saying they intend to build the 100 fleet vehicles in Shreveport. We could disagree with that as a forward looking statement, then again so is Elio's ever being mass produced. For all we know EM is working on deal with Tata and they'll be putting EM's engine in their luxury Nano. :rolleyes:
These are good questions, though we do not have enough information to know much of anything other than what has already actually happened. Such is the lot of those of us following EM. ;)

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nothing "new" with that info. Last year when EM filed with the SEC they were pretty clear that after their Reg A fundraising they would continue to need to raise money for production, at the time $240 million and as of the latest filing I believe $300 million there was a significant increase in the line for production tooling that accounted for most of that difference. Elio Motors also described in their timeline not vigorously pursuing funding in the time period between when Reg A ended and the start of E series build.
To date EM is still saying they intend to build the 100 fleet vehicles in Shreveport. We could disagree with that as a forward looking statement, then again so is Elio's ever being mass produced. For all we know EM is working on deal with Tata and they'll be putting EM's engine in their luxury Nano. :rolleyes:
These are good questions, though we do not have enough information to know much of anything other than what has already actually happened. Such is the lot of those of us following EM. ;)
Very well said John. And that "significant increase in the line for production tooling" and all related stuff to create our ELIO is my concern. And I know EM is fully aware that their projected base price of $6800 is a dream. For them to recoup and make money, those expenses have to be added to the final base price....unless all of us are so naïve of the significance of the delays....inflation. And Paul Elio is no Elon Musk who can operate his pet projects at a loss. Ok enough of negativity and I'll check back when EM makes their big announcement that the e-series has been completed!:D

Top Bottom