• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Model

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Might as well add my story.
I own a hobby grade 3D printer which I use to print everything from gun parts to Engineering Prototypes for work to household items.

So I am following through with making a 3D graphic of the Elio P4. It's going a little more slowly than I first estimated. This is because I'm doing a better job than I do for my vehicle concept work.

I only have 2d drawings to go by, and I didn't have a top view to start with. I could still use one, either a blue-print or a photo, but it has to be directly center from above.

Then I will try and work with SG, or will find a 3D print service and get a price and other details required to 'print'. I have even seen ones that take Sketchup files direct to print.

It may take a couple more weeks to finish this, I only can work on it in front of the TV a couple hours before bed each night. I'll keep you posted, and put up 2d snapshots in this thread as it progresses.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I am following through with making a 3D graphic of the Elio P4. It's going a little more slowly than I first estimated. This is because I'm doing a better job than I do for my vehicle concept work.

I only have 2d drawings to go by, and I didn't have a top view to start with. I could still use one, either a blue-print or a photo, but it has to be directly center from above.

Then I will try and work with SG, or will find a 3D print service and get a price and other details required to 'print'. I have even seen ones that take Sketchup files direct to print.

It may take a couple more weeks to finish this, I only can work on it in front of the TV a couple hours before bed each night. I'll keep you posted, and put up 2d snapshots in this thread as it progresses.
Will the top view of the Elio in a parking lot help at all? There is one posted on here somewhere. :-) Z

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
image.jpg

Does this help?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Z's pic is about as close to topview as I've seen. Still have to do some extrapolating. I was going to mess with trying to make a 3D model in Blender, and then import it to FreeCad to turn it from a mesh into an actual model once the weather went to crap out here. No time, or desire to be inside this time of year. :) AriLea, are you using a spaceball, mouse, or tablet to draw with?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Z's pic is about as close to topview as I've seen. Still have to do some extrapolating. I was going to mess with trying to make a 3D model in Blender, and then import it to FreeCad to turn it from a mesh into an actual model once the weather went to crap out here. No time, or desire to be inside this time of year. :) AriLea, are you using a spaceball, mouse, or tablet to draw with?
I'll have to say mouse, but not actually drawing. Locating points in space and connecting them, point to point work really.
I imported the Elio P4, 2d blue-print images into sketchup. I scale those to dimension inside my sketchup designer. Then I am correlating grid points from each by projecting guide lines into the 3d space. Then I have to guess at the geometry it suggests. If nothing else I make curves in 3 dimensions and close the panels with meshing triangles. To save time, I'm simplifying curves for less data points, since this doesn't have to be super detailed.
I use a lot of copy/paste/scaling, and 'follow-me' tools.
Example
CorrolatedProjection.png

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll have to say mouse, but not actually drawing. Locating points in space and connecting them, point to point work really.
I imported the Elio P4, 2d blue-print images into sketchup. I scale those to dimension inside my sketchup designer. Then I am correlating grid points from each by projecting guide lines into the 3d space. Then I have to guess at the geometry it suggests. If nothing else I make curves in 3 dimensions and close the panels with meshing triangles. To save time, I'm simplifying curves for less data points, since this doesn't have to be super detailed.
I use a lot of copy/paste/scaling, and 'follow-me' tools.
ExampleView attachment 3001

Yep, that's how you'd have to do it. I've never tried Sketchup Designer. But I have been playing around with Blender. Got a tutorial on disk showing how to go about creating a model of a newer Camero. This isn't it (the one in the tute is blue), but you can see how realistic the models turn out....plus, Blender's free! :) My favorite price!

2010_camaro_ss_official2.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep, that's how you'd have to do it. I've never tried Sketchup Designer. But I have been playing around with Blender. Got a tutorial on disk showing how to go about creating a model of a newer Camero. This isn't it (the one in the tute is blue), but you can see how realistic the models turn out....plus, Blender's free! :) My favorite price!
View attachment 3004
A few years ago, I did get a copy of blender and actually made a nice realistic view of one of my designs I'd made in sketchup. But haven't done much more with blender than that. Sketchup IS much easier to use for true sketching. i.e visual representations.
I would think a good process is to get basic layout in sketchup and then import to other things for a step2, depending on your target purpose.
Maybe over time we can exchange how-to's.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Maybe over time we can exchange how-to's"

Absolutely, but I'm going to need a bunch more practice. I did make a set of wine glasses in Blender that look pretty real. Youtube tutorials are great.
It's going to be cool and rainy here this weekend. Perfect weather to sit inside and play with software.
I'm guessing "step 2" is importing to a CAD program to give the meshes thickness so the 3D printer can work it's magic.

Top Bottom