• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

4 Wheel Elio???

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
bond bug.jpg

Elio Motor's 3 wheeler design is fine the way it is but we all know there's innovators out there just waiting to get their hands on it and tweek/customize it to their liking! How about a 4

wheel Elio? The picture below is Bond Bug popular in England during the 70's with a single wheel up front and rear wheel drive. Picture above was the 4 wheel version!
bond bug2.jpg

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The Bond Bug was junk, only being popular as it didn't require a regular auto license. It was dangerous and prone to rolling over on simple corners. The whole concept of the Elio is light weight combined with extremely low drag. Add another wheel and side-by-side seating and kiss that goodbye. If you want a 4 wheeled car than by all means buy one.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Elio added a 4th wheel, they would have a tough time competing with the major automakers. VW would build this.

Attachments

• VW NILS.jpg
    VW NILS.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,047
Last edited:

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Bond Bug was junk, only being popular as it didn't require a regular auto license. It was dangerous and prone to rolling over on simple corners. The whole concept of the Elio is light weight combined with extremely low drag. Add another wheel and side-by-side seating and kiss that goodbye. If you want a 4 wheeled car than by all means buy one.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all in with the Elio the way it is! Like I was saying, outside of Elio Motors, there will be people who will buy it and somehow tweak it to their liking! And you said it yourself, the Bond bug is dangerous and prone to rolling over so some owner added a forth wheel to it to correct the problem, get it?

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm all in with the Elio the way it is! Like I was saying, outside of Elio Motors, there will be people who will buy it and somehow tweak it to their liking! And you said it yourself, the Bond bug is dangerous and prone to rolling over so some owner added a forth wheel to it to correct the problem, get it?

Yes, I get it. I get that people corrected possibly the worst and most dangerous automotive design every created to get around licencing requirements with a new front end, creating a better golf cart. The Elio shares none of the faults of the Bond Bug and is not constructed like a golf cart. Nobody is going to add a fourth wheel. They might remove the aerodynamic wheel covers and put on inefficient motorcycle fenders with bling wheels (and lose at least 10% of the MPG) to show off to those who still think that such things are status. Yes, there will be mods galore as this vehicle attracts a percentage of the DIY crowd. I can see matching trailers, bike racks, electronic upgrades, colorful wraps; further aerodynamic enhancements for the fanatic hyper-milers; anti-sway bar, adjustable spring perches and negative camber capability and racing harnesses for racers; lighting kits and skid plates for rally enthusiasts; turbo charger with intercooler and electronics; cold air box and hood scoop; and fuzzy dice with the buyers serial number matching the car color.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I get it. I get that people corrected possibly the worst and most dangerous automotive design every created to get around licencing requirements with a new front end, creating a better golf cart. The Elio shares none of the faults of the Bond Bug and is not constructed like a golf cart. Nobody is going to add a fourth wheel. They might remove the aerodynamic wheel covers and put on inefficient motorcycle fenders with bling wheels (and lose at least 10% of the MPG) to show off to those who still think that such things are status. Yes, there will be mods galore as this vehicle attracts a percentage of the DIY crowd. I can see matching trailers, bike racks, electronic upgrades, colorful wraps; further aerodynamic enhancements for the fanatic hyper-milers; anti-sway bar, adjustable spring perches and negative camber capability and racing harnesses for racers; lighting kits and skid plates for rally enthusiasts; turbo charger with intercooler and electronics; cold air box and hood scoop; and fuzzy dice with the buyers serial number matching the car color.
That is exactly what I'm trying to say! Most of which are either unnecessary and will just add weight or defeat the very purpose of the Elio car's main objective-mpg! But you can't stop people from being unique individuals with different tastes. After all, we are still far away from living in a futuristic society where everybody dresses the same, drives identical vehicles and are governed by a one supreme being. That will be the end of humanity as I know it.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is exactly what I'm trying to say! Most of which are either unnecessary and will just add weight or defeat the very purpose of the Elio car's main objective-mpg! But you can't stop people from being unique individuals with different tastes. After all, we are still far away from living in a futuristic society where everybody dresses the same, drives identical vehicles and are governed by a one supreme being. That will be the end of humanity as I know it.
I'm sure some custom company will make a rear axel, rear fenders that would look cool..I don't see where adding another wheel would drag the mpg down that much.. In 1992 my geo metro convertible averaged 50 mpg, it weighed more, was wider and I don't think it was fuel injected ..Hey lets get the 3 wheeler out there before we change Elio.. Also , as for now Elio has to conform to motorcycle regulations, make it a car, the front height will have to raise.. the one door will be out....ie.. $6800 will turn into $16,800..If that's what you want, think Chevy Spark, ugly and 35mpg..

Top Bottom