• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

8/15/2014 Blog - Supplier Engagement

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Supplier Engagement – 8/15/14
Posted by cstempeck on August 15, 2014
Posted in: Blog.

Happy Friday Elio Friends and Family! This is a really fun time for us as most of the team is here in Detroit for the “world famous” Woodward Dream Cruise. This is going to be a blast!

Coming to this part of the country is always cool because the vast majority of our supplier partners are located in the Detroit area. We have talked about it before, but we are creating a different relationship with our suppliers than a traditional OEM would. One big change is that we have built our culture around the inclusion of the suppliers from the very beginning of the project as well as involving them at a much deeper level than they are used to historically. This brings the experts of the individual pieces together at the beginning so that we can utilize the years and years of expertise that each person and company bring. Additionally, by having all of the suppliers together from the start, we can discuss not only the parts themselves, but how they fit/interact with other parts as well. This creates smart and reliable systems for the Elio.

IAV Engine Design Team
“The other major benefit of bringing these great suppliers in early like we have is the knowledge of existing parts in their individual product lines” says Steve Semansky, Vice President of Supplier Relations for Elio Motors. “No one knows the lines like these guys which allows us to get proven quality and a great value for these parts, using existing technology.”

Today, before we headed over to “The Cruise,” we invited our supplier partners to come over and see and experience the P4. This was a great chance for the group to get together and get the real Elio Experience of a tour stop, with the added bonus of some test drives!

Together we had over 135 supplier partners participate in today’s event which represented almost every part of the vehicle. Everyone had the chance to sit in the vehicle, and like true fans, take some pictures. This was like a normal tour stop except for two main differences: there was a chance for the supplier partners to take the Elio out for a spin, and the talk around the vehicle! The conversation wasn’t typical for a tour stop, basically the polar opposite! The Tour Team were the ones asking questions of them so that we could get into the deep details that you have asked about. As you would expect, this also turned into a working event for the suppliers and Elio staff – all of the talk was about the Elio and making it great!

What a fantastic way to kick-off the Cruise weekend, thanks to all of the supplier partners for coming out!

Elio Engine Block Castings
This week in the Preview Tour:

Saturday, August 16; Metro Detroit, MI; Woodward Dream Cruise, 9am – 8pm; P4 showing; 31200 Woodward Ave Royal Oak, MI 48073 (Village Automotive building)

Thanks again for your continued support!

Last edited by a moderator:

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nice PICTURE, but I hope it is 'VERY OLD'..... looks like just 'cast parts' STACKED upon each other! When will we see a 'machined' and 'assembled' ENGINE? The 'cast' Engine Block... is MONTHS old..... and has not even been 'machined' (yet alone the 'Flame Spray' applied to the cylinders)!
CastEngine.jpg

Please just a 'tidbit' that shows us closer to making the 3rd Qtr Production date. MONTHS without even 'machining' (the much awaited) engine block.... does not....nor does another BLOG showing people 'looking' at the P4.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice PICTURE, but I hope it is 'VERY OLD'..... looks like just 'cast parts' STACKED upon each other! When will we see a 'machined' and 'assembled' ENGINE? The 'cast' Engine Block... is MONTHS old..... and has not even been 'machined' (yet alone the 'Flame Spray' applied to the cylinders)!View attachment 2165

Please just a 'tidbit' that shows us closer to making the 3rd Qtr Production date. MONTHS without even 'machining' (the much awaited) engine block.... does not....nor does another BLOG showing people 'looking' at the P4.

It is impossible to draw many conclusions from just these new pictures especially knowing that the cylinder head is different which could mean that none of these castings are the same ones we have seen before. We just have no way of knowing how many castings have been made and what has happened to them.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is impossible to draw many conclusions from just these new pictures especially knowing that the cylinder head is different which could mean that none of these castings are the same ones we have seen before. We just have no way of knowing how many castings have been made and what has happened to them.
Until they've been machined and assembled, they're paperweights. If I were Elio PR, this pic would never have seen the light of day. To me, it's propaganda for those that are clueless to what they're really seeing, just hoping that nobody would look at it and say "Hey wait just a minute..."

Baffling em with BS doesn't sit well with me.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Until they've been machined and assembled, they're paperweights. If I were Elio PR, this pic would never have seen the light of day. To me, it's propaganda for those that are clueless to what they're really seeing, just hoping that nobody would look at it and say "Hey wait just a minute..."

Baffling em with BS doesn't sit well with me.
If seems that EM is damned if they do and damned if they don't. If these molds show changes then that means some progress has been made. If they were the same mold we saw before then I would find that disappointing. They are not going to show us every step they take. All you have to do is read all the "noise" about the things they do post to realize they cannot please everyone. I would have loved to be a fly on top of the Elio at this gathering. These people all count. They are important to Elio's future and ours. Everything they do is going to be judged and in some cases judged very harshly. I prefer to give them credit for the knowledge they have that I do not. I am simply very glad they are on our side and working towards the same goal I have - the production of the Elio. Do you realize how much complaining we would have heard if they had not released something new in the middle of August? It gives me a headache even thinking about it. Or at least it would if I was into having headaches. Since I'm not, I will thank them for sharing another step forward. That is, as always, my very biased and not at all humble opionion. Don't even think about trying to change it. It ain't going to happen! :-) Z

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Z, I'm sure not trying to change your opinion. I like it just the way it is.

From my perspective, I'd rather have heard EM say something like this: "We've been hard at work on the engine design. Our first castings had some issues that we've now corrected."

I realize that would scare some people, but I work in metal manufacturing, and realize that revisions to parts are almost a given.

***Just while I was typing this, the local TV station aired an Elio blurb with a bunch of still pictures. While it ain't news to me, it was cool to see!***

Top Bottom