• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Couple Of Iowa Specific Questions

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just went all in for $100 (I think that counts as dipping my big toe in). I've got a couple of questions for you Iowans:

1. Any idea if Iowa is going to require a Motorcycle Endorsement on our Drivers License to operate an Elio?

2. Anyone hear any rumblings about Iowa based service? I certainly don't mind driving to Chicago to pick it up, but, particularly for warranty work, having to drive there could be a real hassle.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just went all in for $100 (I think that counts as dipping my big toe in). I've got a couple of questions for you Iowans:

1. Any idea if Iowa is going to require a Motorcycle Endorsement on our Drivers License to operate an Elio?

2. Anyone hear any rumblings about Iowa based service? I certainly don't mind driving to Chicago to pick it up, but, particularly for warranty work, having to drive there could be a real hassle.
Bilbo welcome to the forum. Since I'm in New Mexico I haven't followed what the laws are in the other states. The members of the forum are helpful and friendly so you can expect someone from Iowa to respond. Using the forum search functions to find the answers to most of your questions will reduce your stress and lessen your learning curve. Welcome to this historic journey and enjoy the Elio experience.

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi Bilbo! Des Moines fellow here, welcome to the party :)

From what I have gathered thus far (which ain't much) the Elio is federally seen as a motorcycle due to it's 3 wheels, it is apparently going to have a motorcycle VIN which is the big kicker. I have tried to contact the Iowa legislator for my district, Rick Olson, on this subject and gotten no reply.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/

It would seem as of right now if you walked in to register an Elio it would be registered as a MC and if you could be required to have the endorsement. I hope that as things get closer to a reality, we can get an exemption. So at this time I'm not going to worry too much.

According to the dealer map on the Elio website there should be a location in Kansas City, that would be far better for us than Chicago. I think Minneapolis is there too. But so far, nothing set for Iowa.

If you do facebook I started a page for Iowa Elio owners. There are a few others there and for right now it's just sort of a placeholder until things really take off. We still get most of our info from here and the Elio Motors Owners Association facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IowaEOC/

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bilbo
My opinion is that if we have to register as a motorcycle as a motorcycle that's ok, I think license on a motorcycle is $25 in Iowa, if it is licensed as a car the license will be around $70. You may have to get a motorcycle endorsement if it is licensed as a motorcycle but that's no big deal. No helmet law in Iowa so you don.t have to wear one in your Elio.
Worst case scenario is that Elio drivers would need a motorcycle endorsement and a helmet (if state has helmet law), that's cool with me as long as I get my Elio, the benefits of the Elio outweigh these minor issues.

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me, having to get a MC endorsement would be a huge pain as I have no real experience riding. I would either have to find someone that would let me borrow an old bike and practice or I'd have to take a rider's course. But since it is incredibly silly to require a MC license for something that is one wheel away from being a car, I'll just wait another year and see where things are at.

Joel Sheltrown (VP of Governmental Affairs at Elio Motors) has been working diligently with various state lawmakers on the helmet issues and "autocycle" designation. I'm confident Iowa will see the light when the time comes!

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me, having to get a MC endorsement would be a huge pain as I have no real experience riding. I would either have to find someone that would let me borrow an old bike and practice or I'd have to take a rider's course. But since it is incredibly silly to require a MC license for something that is one wheel away from being a car, I'll just wait another year and see where things are at.

Joel Sheltrown (VP of Governmental Affairs at Elio Motors) has been working diligently with various state lawmakers on the helmet issues and "autocycle" designation. I'm confident Iowa will see the light when the time comes!
That's where I'm at. It's not that expensive to get a Motorcycle Endorsement, but I don't have a bike, and the thought of having to take that test to drive an Elio seems silly. But, we're talking Government here. Licensing the vehicle as a motor cycle seems to be a given. I'm fine with that. But as you said, having to track down a bike and practice enough to pass the test is going to be a huge deal.

Dino3721

Elio Fan
Reaction score

Well the good news is: if it is a "motorcycle" then you can drive it in your motorcycle driving test in it. They can't say it is a motorcycle and then say you can't drive it in the test. I got my motorcycle license in Nebraska when I lived there. I had a scooter, that is considered a motorcycle. The driving test instructor gave me a hard time about taking the test with a scooter, but made him call the state capital and they said, of course if it is a motorcycle it can be drove in the test. The driving test was a breeze in the little scooter.

Dino3721

Elio Fan
Reaction score
So far only 5 states have not made the helmet exception. Only one did not pass a bill, but it was not passed because of other amendments added to the bill. Elio is confident because 45 states have made the helmet exception the last 5 will follow. Nebraska is one that is delayed.

Top Bottom