• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Air Conditioning / Heating / Air Filtration

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Highly unlikely that it would be electric air conditioning.

All-electric systems cost more which violates an EM principle. They are probably also less efficient too since they accumulate energy conversion losses going from mechanical energy to electrical energy then back to mechanical energy. Belt-driven compressors skip those two lossy energy conversions.

lkptpete

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Highly unlikely that it would be electric air conditioning.

All-electric systems cost more which violates an EM principle. They are probably also less efficient too since they accumulate energy conversion losses going from mechanical energy to electrical energy then back to mechanical energy. Belt-driven compressors skip those two lossy energy conversions.

I was thinking that the electric would actually be less parasitic draw... Thanks for the informed reply! That's why these forums are great!

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An electric compressor would offer huge advantages in cooling efficiency 1. because it runs at a constant speed, independent of engine RPM, and 2. it can vary its speed in response to demand from the expansion valve rather than the throttle.

Unfortunately, it's expensive, not just for the motor-compressor, but for a larger alternator and battery to drive it. That's no big deal in a conventional automobile with a little more slack available in available power and budget, but it's critical in an Elio.

Last edited:

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I asked Mr Vassallo that question when they were out here in Chandler a while back. He told me they will be using the a/c units that are found in the rear of minivans. Apparently they do not draw down on the engine.

There is the curiousty after reading the blgs on AC as to what will it be. Your response is good detective work! I'll be on the lookout in the blgs for more about you find in the future . Lots of good inquisitive questions in the blogs in regarding what type of Ac unit,the draw on motor and effects with alternators/batteries. They are putting together for all of us one solid/efficient Auto Cycle! Thanks again to Paul Elio engineering experiences and vision!
Terrence Bernard

Top Bottom