• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Alternative Engine Tech

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mazda is coming out with a car with rotary engine. Motor1.com . it comes out this year; 2023. Fox News .
It drives a generator.
Yep, I see it's just a range extender. That is a use type that the rotary loves. Steady high HP output. Good in aircraft too.
If they blow a tip seal, they often just keep going until shut off after landing.
Maybe they have been able to get emissions down under those conditions.

Maybe they even did a peripheral port design like we used to do back at the VRI in the 1980's, which doubles the HP output. Add a high boost turbo, doubles again. The actual rotary for this application could be tiny if they did all of that. Also make it a ceramic liner and rotor, and wow. So ceramics could work.

The smaller the rotary engine the less wear on the tips, but leakage is higher by percentage.
I don't know the chemistry of ceramics for internal combustion, but it's in racing all the time.

Velhartice

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mazda is coming out with a car with rotary engine. Motor1.com . it comes out this year; 2023. Fox News .
mx-generator.jpg

It drives a generator.
I saw this and found it quite intriguing. My biggest concern is durability, all production rotary engines to this point that I know of don’t last long enough for my tastes without needing a rebuild (200k+ miles). While Rob Dahm (on youtube) has likely made some improvements in this area, it still is an unknown and would keep me from buying one.

Secondly is fuel economy, rotaries aren’t known for that either.

Top Bottom