• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Alternative Front Suspensions

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like to keep the Bex Project free from my clutter, even if it has some cross-over thoughts.
In this case, the Mongrel has interesting innnovations in the front end solving suspension and streeing challenges for FWD configuration.

This image below, of the front end of an AWD configuration, shows some similar bits and parts. But it is an EV drive for racing using Tesla donor parts. This is a VW clone body, so the width is not as challeging as the Bex, but it could have been tightened into a smaller space using some Bex solutions.

The other thing I notice, use of leading steering links, rather than trailing. I've not seen that implemented elsewhere other than some of my own drawings and concepts.
Also notice the extremely minimal AArms. Likely in tempered hi-carbon, or even titanium. I'm not familliar with available racing hardware. Is that off the shelf?

Any other interesting front ends any of you have seen? (dbl-click on image to see the youtube.)
(BTW, adding a linked image is better than just the URL, since stupid youtube vids go away too often. At least you still have an image!)

This is also a solo seater, which shows you in the video some of the trouble you get for entry/exit where there is a distance to the outside edge. Well, and that there is a high side-wall to step over.

1689091523846.png

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have played with front suspensions on and off all my days.

Of them, I have 2 designs that have never been done before, which is quite a claim in the automotive world, one being a semi beam front end that keeps the wheels flat under braking for best stopping performance, yet cambers and casters as required in cornering.

Before the pictures of that, here is what looks like a single beam axle, but it actually has a bearing in the center that allows individual left and right lateral axis rotation. Note the single pivot triangle radius rods that go about 1/3rd the way back up the car. Without the center bearing it would bind otherwise. The purpose was to have anti-dive as required (simply adjust the height of the triangle pivot) without any suspension bind. I stole the general idea from a 1960s championship winning sports race car. I have no idea why people don't use it in similar race cars, braking and turn in is massively improved with it.

1689165008227.jpeg

Oh here's a better picture of the bearing in the center, and the DeDion rear end.

Note very much prototyping proof of concept, hence square tube for simplicity, and rough.

1689166165394.jpeg

My lateral linkage to hold the beam in place was also a first, one that I have offered publicly, so here it is:

I grabbed 2 reverse gears, welded quadrants to them, mounted on pivots, an any attempt for lateral movement is foild by the gears opposing each other wanting to rotate in the same direction, but the vertical movement is unchallenged. The roll center is where the lateral links theoretically intersect (just under the gears), and because they are so close together, there is very little roll center variation.
This is on a rear beam ...

1689165818016.jpeg

Whatever in the next post after my dinner ...

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Likely in tempered hi-carbon
They are aluminum. Stock Fun Beetle EVO2.

The other thing I notice, use of leading steering links, rather than trailing. I've not seen that implemented elsewhere other than some of my own drawings and concepts.
Tesla Model 3 is front steer. Same for just about every 3 series BMW since the 80's. All Porsche 924 thru 968 are front steer.

Interested

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
They are aluminum. Stock Fun Beetle EVO2.

Tesla Model 3 is front steer. Same for just about every 3 series BMW since the 80's. All Porsche 924 thru 968 are front steer.
Just spotted this off-road vehicle. Talk about suspension.

Top Bottom