• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone In Iowa Getting An Elio?

Dano

Reaction score
I signed up just to talk with you guys. I commute 50 miles per day so the Elio would fit well in my life. I've been bitten before with Kickstarter projects that just don't pan out so I'm having a hard time getting in line. I'd appreciate any comments. Dan in Coralville.

Reaction score
Dan, I am a poor old lady. I checked out the www.eliomotors.com web site with all the great information available including the Board Of Directors ect. Did you see who those folks are and their histories? OH MY! The suppliers and designers all meet often and nic pick the plans, THE PLANT is being re=tooled as we sit here. I am VERY sure this is 'a go'. Also you get some great information of youtube! I love youtube. Specially the newest video shot in Florida yesterday. I'll just welcome you a board and wish for the best for all.

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I signed up just to talk with you guys. I commute 50 miles per day so the Elio would fit well in my life. I've been bitten before with Kickstarter projects that just don't pan out so I'm having a hard time getting in line. I'd appreciate any comments. Dan in Coralville.
It always makes sense to be cautious. Selfishly, I want this car built so I want people to put down deposits, any deposit, to show investors and Elio that they can move forward with production. I would say hang around, read up on it, mull it over and I think you'll end up at least trying the $100 refundable eventually. I'm at $100 non refundable, The perks were worth me losing the money.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dan I am not in your neck of the woods but I have a son who lives in Ohio and who introduced me to the Elio in January while we talked on the phone and I looked it up on my iPad. A week later when we talked again I knew more than he did. I had talked to 2 local mechanics and had them check the website so they would know what I was talking about when I asked if they would be able to and/or willing to service my new car. My son can do his own. I am 72 years old and cannot. I have read information from naysayers, hesitant people who have become more confident as time goes along and all out enthusiasts. I am low income living on Social Security only and this car is my one chance to replace my 1999 Toyota Camry (214,000 miles) with something fun to drive. I made my $100 non-refundable deposit March 1 and fully believe that creamsicle Elio is mine as soon as it comes off the assembly line. Only you can decide but there is a lot of information out there to help you. I encourage you to do the research. Since you work it will probably take you longer than me. After all, I am retired and love spending time researching Elio. Now I can't wait to get my bumper sticker to put on Jaymez (the Toyota) and to wear the T-shirt so I can encourage people to look at Elio. Mine has already been named Zelio. :-) Z

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Indianola, IA My wife and I each drive smart fortwo's, but I am All In for an Elio. Hopefully I can hand down my smart convertible to my high school son.

I am jealous of Quick NE's flamed Elio. I have flames on my smart and I will have flames on my Elio. I am the State FFA Advisor, and I spend every day for two weeks at the Iowa State Fair. I have a parking spot on the Iowa State Fairgrounds, so I look forward to displaying my flamed Elio on the grounds for the nearly 1 million people to see. Mercedes-Benz provides smart owners with basic facts cards to hand out. The smart president told our group at the first ever National smart car rally that smarts are a tiny sliver of the U.S. car market, and if they advertised them on TV the cost of smarts would go up maybe a $1500 per car. I hope Elio adopts this cost-saving-by-not-advertising thinking and provides owners with fliers/cards to hand out to people who ask us about our Elios.

AltoidBox

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The smart president told our group at the first ever National smart car rally that smarts are a tiny sliver of the U.S. car market, and if they advertised them on TV the cost of smarts would go up maybe a $1500 per car. I hope Elio adopts this cost-saving-by-not-advertising thinking and provides owners with fliers/cards to hand out to people who ask us about our Elios.

I don't know how long ago that was, but they're certainly advertising Smarts on TV now. I know I've seen several on TV over the last year or so. Couldn't say for sure when I first started seeing them though.

But I agree that many companies spend big money on television advertising which often has to be recouped with increased product pricing. I can only imagine how much of the cost of each bag of pistachios is dedicated to their aggressive advertising campaign.

Top Bottom