• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Are There Any Guarantees?

W Simmons

Reaction score
Hello to all: My name is Bill and I am from the eastern shore of Maryland. I became aware of the Elio recently when it was mentioned in the "Sword and Shield" magazine. The "S&S" is a magazine distributed to members of the law enforcement motorcycle club, the "Blue Knights".
I am really interested in the Elio and have read a lot about it. I just found this forum and decided to join.
So, from time to time, I will be asking questions and following the development of the Elio.
One question I have is about guarantees.
If I go "all in" and pay the $1000. deposit are there any guarantees?
Will I lose the $1000. if the car is not produced?
What is the production timeframe?

Hope to hear from someone about this. Thanks

Reaction score
Ya know Bill, life is a gamble. Now, I am not rich by any means. I'm not planning on becoming rich any time soon. I believe in this vehicle, I want this vehicle and I believe putting down my egg and yard sale monies on a deposit is worth tossing in my hat.
80 MPG Dude, it's a no brainer.

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I choose the non-refundable $100 level, so I could get a t-shirt and a bumper sticker. This car NEEDS to be built, it makes so much sense.

I mainly went with the non-refundable level hoping my dollars and others will make this dream come true. If it is produced I could easily see my family buying 4. My two sons will graduate from college and high school in the next year, and $6800 would be a very reasonable expense for them. They love to drive my or my wife's smart cars, but they seem to love the Elio option even more. I like that they are both so opposed to wasting gas when they do not need to do so.

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am all in for $100.00. Sure I will have to wait in the long line for mine to be built but I am in the line non the less. I believe in the Elio and its' concept. I will wait for my turn.

RickDeckard

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
All_In is nonrefundable... and IF the vehicle gets made you get an additional 1/2 of your investment taken off the price of the Elio and a higher place in line in front of the refundable people.... if things go south you have no guarantee of anything including getting this money back. The Refundable deposits get you a place in line and the money goes into a escrow account ... if things go bad you get your money back. I am All-In for 2 at 1K ... The Elio at this stage is scheduled to start production in Dec 2014 and expects to sell out the first year of production prior to this date. When they get things ramped up they expect to produce 250 a Day

W Simmons

Reaction score
I understand and like your responses. I agree this vehicle needs to be made. But... call me a skeptic. Shelling out a thousand bucks for a T-shirt may be more than I am willing to do.
Does the "all in" $1000. option grant you any special access to the manufacturer?
There easily could be a website/blog/discussion or something created by the manufacturer that grants the $1000. adopters special access. A place to get answers and be kept up to date. Can you tour the factory? Can you see where the factory will be? Certainly the developer could create something to keep us more updated.....
Don't get me wrong. I want to see this succeed as much as the next guy. BUT, I have been burned on this type of thing before.....
Does the developer pay attention to what is being said in this forum?
Do they care?
Is there someplace (verified) within the forum that we can get answers straight from the horses mouth?
I may put down my $1000. as well.... but at this point I would like to see some more interaction and info from the developer.
BTW... Is there a schedule somewhere that tells where the previews are taking place?

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I think the philosophy is that we are all in this together at whatever level you can afford financially or emotionally so there won't be any elite access like an American Express Platinum Card gives special perks. The graded levels of "All In" give you production priority by level of contribution. You can find most of the information you want 'from the horse's mouth' at their website, Blog, and Facebook page as well as the various user groups that have erupted. Here is a list (there are probably more user sites):

http://www.eliomotors.com/ Elio website
https://www.facebook.com/ElioMotors Facebook page
http://eliomotors.wordpress.com/ Elio blog with pictures of P4 progress, CAD and frame construction
http://www.elioowners.com This owner group
http://wardsauto.com/north-america/rapid-growth-drives-iav-us?page=2 IAV engine designer article

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Tyson

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm "All In" Perhaps it could be a thousand dollar T-shirt -- it's a very nice shirt. I hope not!! Sure it's a gamble. How many lottery tickets have you purchased in the past year?? My return from the lottery is far less than the return on this. I have no doubt that it'll be built. My only concern is holding the price line at this point. I was looking at a Gold Wing trike and it way above the 20K mark without a body.

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
This is old stuff proffered by a person who, for some reason, has a bone to pick. Notice the retail price is about $5k, having nothing to do with the current financials. It also indicates a margin of $1000, a silly amount, far too low to be a successful company. Effectively, these are useless, obsolete financials representative of initial guesses by Elio that were totally wrong.

Top Bottom