• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thomas Malkin

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Ars Technica, in a March 14, 2018 article, covers the utter inaction of the Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing (ATVM) loan people since 2011. Elio Motors is specifically mentioned as a mind-blowing clusterf, having waiting eight years for a word, any word, of a loan, negative or positive. They are a victim, not a con.

As the program has been literally inactive in lending since 2011, Congress is going to shut the ATVM loan program down. I would normally scream about this, but the ATVM people weren't doing anything but cashing paychecks anyway. I was right: they are sitting on billions of dollars and won't unclench.

The article covers the other would-be manufacturers who have died because of ATVM loan inaction. It's not just Elio Motors eating bankruptcy because of their silence.

And, amazingly, not a word from the ATVM loan officials in the article. Who ARE these people, and why can't we get them to explain themselves?

The cause seems to be partisan politics, the ATVM people being accused of playing favorites (that would be silly. A loan officer does play favorites. That's the job, judging). So they are, obvious interpretation, refusing to burn themselves by making decisions. Just cashing paychecks.

Here's the kicker: the ATVM loan people are actively courting new manufacturers! They are shopping for new customers to make loans to. What they bloody hell happened in that outfit? It's a black box.

Bottom line: Paul Elio and all the others did what they were supposed to. And they waited. And they've been screwed out of loans which should have been made to them.

EDIT: response to source challenge.
I went to Google, and using my memory of, as I said, June 2016 rule changes at the ATVM loan whatever they are, found the posting I've been using for a year and a half. It's right there. How did I know about it? It was in the August 2016 Elio newsletter. I discussed it on this board at that time.

With the moderator's kind permission, I'd like to reissue this post as a new thread later. It needs better dissemination.

2016 August, newsletter:
https://www.eliomotors.com/elio-motors-locks-in-its-price/

As you say, the ATVM loan people did not "require" confirmed purchase orders. OK. But Elio Motors changed to confirmed orders to provide what the ATVM newly required: proof of "market acceptance" and "long term viability" that went beyond mere reservations. As quoted by Elio Motors below, the new ATVM loan requirements were that "market studies and non-binding reservations to purchase will not be sufficient". That they interpreted to mean confirmed purchase orders. What the hell else could it mean?

Here:
"As part of the final steps of the evaluation of our application for the ATVM loan, the U.S. DOE requires that Elio Motors demonstrate market acceptance for our project in order to provide a level of certainty about our long-term viability. Although we have received overwhelming market support from our fans, with more than 56,000 total reservations and over 85% of those “non-refundable,” according to the ATVM’s new guidelines published June 2016, that is not enough to demonstrate market acceptance:

“Where a start-up company that has not generated revenue seeks to commence or progress operations, … in all but the most extraordinary circumstances, market studies and non-binding customer reservations to purchase vehicles will not be sufficient…” [Emphasis added].

We believe we have created an “extraordinary” circumstance in the demand for our vehicle, between our crowdfunding and sales of shares through Regulation A+; however, we will take the necessary additional steps to strengthen our qualifications for this loan program. Because of these requirements, we must ask for binding commitments to purchase from our “non-refundable” reservation holders to further validate our market acceptance. And to obtain these binding commitments, we must lock in a price for the vehicle for “non-refundable” reservations."

And HERE are the new 2016 ATVM loan requirements that made Elio Motors require "binding commitments", that is to say: Confirmed. Purchase. Orders.
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/f...ce_for_Potential_ATVM_Applicants_June2016.pdf
I've cut out the pertinent section and posted that capture of the PDF below:

upload_2018-3-20_13-34-58.png

So. The ATVM new requirement was that Elio Motors negotiate with the ATVM board a method of proving market acceptance and something more binding than mere reservations. Elio motors chose confirmed purchases. There was no guidance even on this point from the ATVM loan people: Elio Motors was *hoping* that would satisfy the board. OF course, there was no way of getting x number of "arrangements are best achieved by applicants with reference to the specific circumstances of individual projects" as that was undefined, innumerable, and indeed unattainable. Translation: although they could require confirmed purchase orders to try to appease the new "requirements", they had no way of knowing if that was required, adequate, or...what else can be said. A lot was typed out, but ATVM had imparted zero meaning in the "requirement". This was a calculated statement so that the ATVM people could always say they had requirements, but those requirements weren't met.

They were never gonna give Elio a loan. ANYone a loan. The ATVM loan process was a black box that when on which a button was pressed, said "No."

Also, to my thread post original point, they moved the goal posts in June 2016 when Elio Motors had met the original ATVM loan requirements. "Yeah, about that. We don't think 5400 reservations are enough. Let's say, you spitball an idea how to prove you have market acceptance and an ability to stay in business, and tell us about it, and we'll...never get back to you. See you never."

If Elio Motors had got the loan in 2011, they would have built the Elio. There was never any other viable option, no matter how Paul tried to put a brave face on it when the loan stalled out in 2016. No one lends to a company startup that won't make more profit than letting the funds sit in a investment portfolio. Investors aren't philanthropists for cars for the poor.

And so endeth my tale.

Last edited:

4matic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bottom line: Paul Elio and all the others did what they were supposed to. And they waited. And they've been screwed out of loans which should have been made to them.

Interesting article... but it’s only one person‘s opinion...

There is no proof from the article that any of those companies met the ATVM loan requirements...

Those loans were intended to be paid back with interest...Elio never had the solvency to be able to do that...

After reviewing all of the Elio’s previous SEC documents... they would’ve never met the financial requirements that ATVM required...

I don’t see a catastrophe... just a bunch of companies that possibly had good ideas...but were not credit worthy...

Last edited:

Thomas Malkin

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Interesting article... but it’s only one person‘s opinion...

There is no proof from the article that any of those companies met the ATVM loan requirements...

Those loans were intended to be paid back with interest...Elio never had the solvency to be able to do that...

After reviewing all of the Elio’s previous SEC documents... they would’ve never met the financial requirements that ATVM required...

I don’t see a catastrophe... just a bunch of companies that possibly had good ideas...but were not credit worthy...

More than opinion. They obtained documents using the Freedom Of Information Act. In 2014 they were called before Congress to explain why they had made no loans since 2011. It is now four years later, and they still haven't lent a cent.

"Meet requirements". Paul met the requirements. The ATVM people changed the requirements to 65K fully-paid purchase orders in June 2016, as Elio expected their loan to sail through. You can't meet requirements if the ATVM board changes them when you hit the finish line. The factory was ready, the engineering prototypes were done, the panel molds made. The ATVM loan people ignored this. There was nothing left for Elio to do. We don't know what the ATVM loan people require, so documentation is useless here. They move the goal posts.

Elio *never* could be credit worthy. Credit worthy people don't need ATVM loans. Those people have credit and can get investment money. The purpose of the ATVM loan program was to float through initial construction those worthy cars that could *not* get loans any other way. New car companies are nearly impossible, and no one will lend them money. That is why the ATVM program was created! To give the impossible a chance. The Elio autocycle would have sold enough to keep themselves in business. Ford hasn't paid back the loans - are they credit worthy?

It is a catastrophe, as all these companies have died, are are so close to death we can only wait.

The issue with the Elio Motors, I must stress, is eight years of leading them on, implying the loans were coming if X was accomplished, waiting for Elio to accomplish X, then changing the terms so that they had to meet Y. 2016 was the kicker, as the ATVM board changed the rules to 65,000 verfied purchase orders rather than 65,000 reservations. At that point, it had been six *years* of Elio being confident, per conversations and meeting goals, that the loan was coming. That change lead to nearly all they were doing to terminate. They laid people off, made one bitter announcement, and have been pounding on doors to get money.

Here's something you all may forget. The ATVM people told Paul Elio not to talk about the loan process with us or the press. So he was forced not to defend himself. He ate all the sht, hoping that somehow the ATVM people were going to call any second. So, years of silence, which ruined his cred. Remember the thread posts, where people said that the ATVM people warned us not to politic them, or... else, I assume. The else happened anyway, they didn't get the loan.

At this point, neither Elio nor we know what the hell is the deal at the ATVM board. And they are being disbanded for the sole reason they don't lend any money and don't have anything to do!!

EDIT: Horrible thought. Do the ATVM people think they are a bank, making responsible loans to credit worthy people? If that is so...they...don't understand what their jobs are. Holy. Hell. They are supposed to take chances, not sure things.

Last edited:

4matic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul met the requirements. The factory was ready, the engineering prototypes were done, the panel molds made. The ATVM loan people ignored this. There was nothing left for Elio to do.

To my knowledge there has never been a production ready & specification validated Elio test mule...

Heck...Elio Motors
has never even announced that the final engineering was completed with regards to the Elio spec motor...

Elio Motors raised a substantial amount of money with their Reg A+ stock offering... this money was intended to be funding to build & test 25 Elio test vehicles to prepare for Elio customer production...but it never happened...

I have no doubt that the ATVM officials were aware that Elio did not have a fully operational prototype...

Last edited:

Thomas Malkin

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
To my knowledge there has never been a production ready & specification validated Elio test mule...

Heck...Elio Motors
has never even announced that the final engineering was completed with regards to the Elio spec motor...

Elio Motors raised a substantial amount of money with their Reg A+ stock offering... this money was intended to be funding to build & test 25 Elio test vehicles to prepare for Elio customer production...but it never happened...

I have no doubt that the ATVM officials were aware that Elio did not have a fully operational prototype...
without the ATVM loan there could be no finished prototype. You're arguing in circles. That round of stockraising wasn't an ATVM requirement. It was desperation in the face of ATVM malice. Elio was broke and still no word fron ATVM. The loan was supposed to be in their hands in 2011.

Read the article. Per the FOIA dump, the ATVM people were never going to make a loan to ANYONE. They lied to Elio. They never were going to lend, and they were never going to inform Elio they weren't. They admit they're too afraid after Solyndra to make a move. The Republicans politicized the ATVM program into paralysis.

All Elio required for over six years was a simple Yes or No. They were never going to answer. Billions of dollars sitting in an account. It was never about requirements. No requirement was enough; they'd invent another, as the correspondence shows, if any requirement was met. The ATVM program turned into a passive con operation.
Elio should SUE based on that reporting.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But, the dates are off. Elio didn't apply for the ATVM loan till August 2014. The got to second stage Oct 2014 and the third Jan 2015. It might seem like it's been eight years, but it has only been four. Really only three years.
Elio applied for 2 ATVM loans. The first one was for $260M back on December 18, 2009.
Here's the list from 2013:https://www.scribd.com/doc/145484203/HQ-2013-00911-F-George-List-of-Loans
When Elio was looking at making the car in Pontiac, MI, he said this at a meeting on February, 10, 2010:
Mr Elio said that they have applied for $45 million in new capital tax credits and $260 million in ATVM loans. They are one month into the ATVM loan process which takes approximately six months. They are confident that they will receive the ATVM money. They qualified for this loan due because their vehicle can provide 25% better gas mileage.
http://www.pontiac.mi.us/document_center/gers021010spec.pdf

For ATVM #2:
The ATVM application process is comprised of 4 stages:
1. Application – Part I: Determine basic eligibility
2. Application – Part II: Confirmatory due diligence
3. Conditional Commitment: Negotiate term sheet
4. Loan Guarantee: Negotiate final agreements

In August 2014 we completed the first stage by submitting an application for a loan of approximately $185 million, the proceeds of which would be used to partly fund the purchase and installation of equipment into the Shreveport facility prior to and after the start of production. As of January 15, 2015, the DOE has confirmed that we achieved the technical criteria for the loan. Due diligence has been pending upon the confirmation of our financial backing.
However, it is possible that DOE may require physical testing of the Elio for validation of miles per gallon prior to disbursement of the ATVM loan.

https://ir.eliomotors.com/all-sec-filings/content/0001567619-17-001564/0001567619-17-001564.pdf

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ford hasn't paid back the loans - are they credit worthy?
Ford has until 2022 to pay off the loan. They are making payments on time with interest. Same for Nissan. I would call that credit worthy. Plus, the interest that the DoE is getting is actually allowing them to make money on the ATVM loan project.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As of March 31, 2017, $62 million has been invested in vehicle engineering and development
Elio has this as the 5th line item on the list of what they need for funding as of August 2017:
Engineering Design & Development - $85.8 million
They have a total budget of $147.8M for the car and they have spent 42% of that so far.

4matic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The ATVM program turned into a passive con operation. Elio should SUE based on that reporting.

On August 12th,2016...Paul Elio made the following statement on the Elio website with regards to the ATVM program...

“As I have previously shared, the ATVM program is not a breaking point for Elio Motors.”

It is my recollection...Paul stated several times that he hoped to qualify for ATVM assistance...but the success of Elio Motors did not hing on ATVM participation...

Given Paul’s comments... I see no grounds for a lawsuit against the ATVM....

Top Bottom