1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Asked For My Deposit Back, Thanks To American Oil-denial

Discussion in 'Elio Reservations' started by JCar, Apr 8, 2018.

1. JCar

JCar Elio Aficionado

Elio had no problem refunding my modest deposit as a mailed check, though it's still in the mail at the moment. I was not all-in and don't know how others have fared.

After reading too many articles about insoluble debt, I had to bail, but I don't blame Elio, rather the American people who are willfully ignorant of where oil comes from and how it depletes. "Shale revolution" hype seems responsible for many people denying the whole concept of Peak Oil and returning to their normal short-attention-spans. Most have a limited ability to see anything that's not right in front of them, so they follow the temporary price of gas, not any real wisdom. You still see people wasting a ton of fuel just sitting around idling in big or small vehicles. That's the general apathy and ignorance a company like Elio was facing all along.

I think if oil prices had continued to rise as they did during the 2008 Elio concept days, we'd have already seen it on the market, even with missteps that had nothing to do with oil. I'm sure some investors balked because U.S. fracking (and OPEC/Russia overproduction gluts) gave the illusion that we'd somehow "prevented" Peak Oil, as if the word finite has no meaning when it's inconvenient to happiness. I've posted this link before and it's worth paying attention to RE any finite resource. http://www.artberman.com/arthur-ber...gist-delivers-the-hard-facts-february-7-2015/

Thanks, America, for being so shortsighted. I'm sure something similar will be built when the next oil shock hits, since electric cars are still overpriced with limited range and places to charge them for people who lack garages and driveways. I aso think the "100% renewables" concept is ridiculous because you can't build and repair all those contraptions without fossil fuels. It's popular because few people can cope with the idea of degrowth and fewer luxuries.

If Elio is reborn like a 3-wheeled phoenix, I'll certainly get back with them.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  2. Coss

Coss Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yours was a want in deposit correct?

I see you did mention that, and yes, those deposits were refundable.
    There are a number of other people that did the All-In deposits, and those are not refundable.

3. Made in USA

Made in USA Elio Addict

There is still opportunity for Elio. Was just reading about how dealerships are changing with many mergers and the manufactures also modifying how they do business. They are estimating that by 2025 over 90% of new vehicles sold will be either pick-up trucks or SUV's. There will be very few "regular" cars made. Franchise laws might by eliminated.

As I don't think pick-up truck, SUV's, and electric/hybrid vehicle prices won't be coming down much, the Elio may be able to provide an affordable alternative.

Ray O and Coss like this.
  4. Samalross

Samalross Elio Addict

I don't think that the American people were the problem, 65000 deposits was amazing. The company was more interested in making money for theirselves than building the company. Trying to start at 250,000 units a year and building their own engine was foolish. They could have started small, get vehicle refined, then try to go large scale.

5. Elf

Elf Elio Addict

I'm going to request my $100 back ,Ill let ya all know how that turns out :rolleyes:

6. Jambe

Jambe Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    6100L, 9991L
    Was that $100 as a "Want In" or an "All In"?

7. Coss

Coss Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Did they do $100 All In?

8. johnsnownw

johnsnownw Elio Addict

BEVs are going to be dead cheap by 2025, and I'm not sure the market for 3-wheeled ICE vehicles is large enough to support the required volume to allow Elio to profit at their price-point.

9. Elf

Elf Elio Addict

Been so long ago It was probably want in .Moved twice not even sure where my paperwork might be .I'm really not that worried about $100 .Way back I thought the concept was a great idea but now I have doubts that the Elio will ever be produced .

RUCRAYZE likes this.
  10. JEBar

JEBar Moderator Staff Member Moderator

yep sure did .... they were rank was just above the Want In group

msmith5150 likes this.