• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Automotive News (12/5/2015): Three Wheels And A Dream

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Elio modeled the design after his father's mid century Lord Elgin wristwatch. If the Rolex reminds him of dark days, the Lord Elgin reminds him of bright ones." "I can still see myself as a child," Elio said, "holding his hand and looking up at it."

Ahh Hahhh Now it makes sense .........

DJL

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Most importantly, I'm wondering if a Hot Wheels Elio will be available before or after 4th Quarter 2016 and would I need to drive to Shreveport to pick it up :)

Near the end of the article:
"Elio said he was cajoling Hot Wheels to build a replica of his car."

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
"Elio modeled the design after his father's mid century Lord Elgin wristwatch. If the Rolex reminds him of dark days, the Lord Elgin reminds him of bright ones." "I can still see myself as a child," Elio said, "holding his hand and looking up at it."
Ahh Hahhh Now it makes sense .........
Oh I have such a perfect line for that "holding his hand ..... " but OMG is it the wrong thing to say :shocked:. All because I am one of those folks that dislike the Elgin. :becky:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If EM fails but hot wheels or match box makes a model, I will buy two of them.

They will be my $1,000 models.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Elio concedes well-funded automakers have the money and know-how to emulate his three-wheeler. He has no unique powertrain, software wizardry or patents.
"No new technology is allowed on this vehicle," Elio said. "Every part on this vehicle is used somewhere else. But we're putting them together in a unique way, so we can have a disruptive effect without new technology."
In a business plan shared with investors and the SEC as part of the approval process for crowdfunding, the company suggested it will keep prices low, cultivating loyal fans and discouraging rivals from imitating the Elio. In other words, the Elio will be sold with such thin margins that larger rivals would be crazy to imitate it."

The price difference between the Elio and an imitation sold by automakers is less than Paul Elio realizes. The $600-$800 many people will spend to change the elgin dash will make the two vehicles the same price. Many people will choose a competitor vehicle in the first place.

I hope the price of the company failing is worth the elgin dash to Paul Elio.

This is what can happen in a one man company. In a standard company, a board would over rule the CEO (like Paul Elio) and prevent the elgin dash from every being put in a vehicle.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IF the Elgin instrument panel is "redesigned", maybe it would be "more acceptable".
With the numbers rotating past the "small" windows, it is unreadable.
Visualize what is like when they have to rotate fast.
On the display they are "slow", a lot easier to read but still unacceptable.
(My opinion)

Willie

Top Bottom