• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Automotive Startups Face Long Odds

gottemfeathers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well the article is not targeted at Elio, it's targeted at all automotive startups. It casts a pall over anyone who is not an established automaker. If Elio can get funding through a Nasdaq listing and they get the government loan (two high hurdles), they should get into production. The article points out that those startups that are using off the shelf components have a lower startup cost. At least Elio is getting some press! Don't be depressed, this story is nothing we didn't already know.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was kind of happy that Elio is on the radar of European auto press. Also they confirmed they Elio was doing some things correctly. Off the shelf parts and planing all along for high volume.
Do we know if EM will be stamping the body parts and welding, or will that be contracted?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was kind of happy that Elio is on the radar of European auto press. Also they confirmed they Elio was doing some things correctly. Off the shelf parts and planing all along for high volume.
Do we know if EM will be stamping the body parts and welding, or will they be contracted?
I would be REALLY surprised if Elio did any panel stamping. There's an extensive welding shop at the plant that is automated so I can see them welding things but the stamping presses are another thing altogether.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the model for yearly production runs of 10,000 max before growth and cost issues arise would be overcome by Elio with access to the almost fully tooled Shreveport factory. Elio is fortuitously positioned with 65k reservations achieved with minimal brand recognition to take advantage of the cost of tooling barriers removed with the Shreveport factory. Or...maybe it would be a cost savings for Vanderhall to receive more help from Utah in the building of the MEGA FACTORY, have ELIO MOTORS move out of LA, and join the business friendly environment in UTAH. The 3 wheel financial spectrum covered by the the best in class... ELIO efficiency for us now and the $30 to 50k luxury Vanderhall to move up to later! ;)

Last edited:

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like what Bret Smith said in the article.................THAT MAKES CENTS.
For a startup with nothing to their name, yes, I agree. But when you have a fully tooled factory at your disposal purchased for, literally, fractions of a penny on the dollar, you have one hell of a big step ahead.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the model for yearly production runs of 10,000 max before growth and cost issues arise would be overcome by Elio with access to the almost fully tooled Shreveport factory. Elio is fortuitously positioned with 65k reservations achieved with minimal brand recognition to take advantage of the cost of tooling barriers removed with the Shreveport factory. Or...maybe it would be a cost savings for Vanderhall to receive more help from Utah in the building of the MEGA FACTORY, have ELIO MOTORS move out of LA, and join the business friendly environment in UTAH. The 3 wheel financial spectrum covered by the the best in class... ELIO efficiency for us now and the $30 to 50k luxury Vanderhall to move up to later! ;)
Y U NO make luxury ELIO ?
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/23/b7/70/23b770fb9a0cc4e6d38725d54eeb8421--elio-motors-limousine.jpg

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well the article is not targeted at Elio, it's targeted at all automotive startups. It casts a pall over anyone who is not an established automaker. If Elio can get funding through a Nasdaq listing and they get the government loan (two high hurdles), they should get into production. The article points out that those startups that are using off the shelf components have a lower startup cost. At least Elio is getting some press! Don't be depressed, this story is nothing we didn't already know.
What I do not get is why some billionaire has not seen ElioMotors as a 1/2 billion worthwhile endeavor yet. I crunched the numbers simply, and... Chances are it would not be a loss...Would be a hero to many...Something new and different for the masses.
Many reasons for someone who could do it to want to.

Top Bottom