1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Back Seat Question

Discussion in 'Forum Rules, Site Suggestions, & Help' started by Sam, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Sam

Sam Elio Addict

In another thread about offering suggestions to help EM reach their $6800 goal, there was a little talk about the back seat. I didn't want to hijack that so I offer this thread.
    I don't think this has been brought up before, so I am asking what ya'll think about this. How about a back seat that would be easily and quickly removed and reinstalled. I am thinking about a latch or two that would accomplish this...no tools required. Maybe pull a latch and somehow maneuver it through the rear hatch. Some small wheels would be nice like found on luggage to take it to the garage. I doubt the seat is very heavy.
    Most of the time my Elio would be used for a 250 mile weekly commute by myself and don't need the back seat. As I said, it's probably pretty light and really wouldn't add much to MPG, but it may have other benefits. As we all know, cargo space is very minimal. With the seat removed, would that space increase any significant amount?
    I can see where a person might be able to load a few more groceries, or another piece of luggage. In my case, it would give me more room to haul that new tool I just cannot live without from the store and my wife could more easily carry a rescue dog or two or three or four to the vet or their new forever homes.
    I haven't seen the car personally, so I can't tell if the increase would much or not. Some of you have.
    I don't want to add too much to the complexity or cost to the Elio, but just wondering out loud. Thanks.

NSTG8R, Jim H, Catia and 3 others like this.
  2. Dusty921

Dusty921 Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Good idea, thought about that myself, but, if Lear can make it fold flat it may be a non-issue.

Kuda, NSTG8R, Catia and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ty

Ty Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    The existing seat is pretty minimal as is. I'd bet the final seat will lay pretty flat but it would be neat to be able to remove it completely.

ecdriver711, Kuda, NSTG8R and 3 others like this.
  4. Cache Man

Cache Man Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Maybe Elio can make the rear seat an option. It is less expensive to make the seats fixed rather than removable. Maybe after market

NSTG8R, Catia and Bert like this.
  5. Jeff Bowlsby

Jeff Bowlsby Elio Addict

That is exactly what the previous thread proposed, making the rear seat optional to save initial cost. The shell of the vehicle under and around the seat still remains allowing cargo, pet transport, tools etc, one could just save the initial cost of the seat if not essential to the owner. The cool thing about the Elio is that any of the optional things can be added later and bought separately as the need of a current owner requires. I can foresee lots of folks removing the rear seat, and stowing it in their attics or selling them. Why buy it initially if not needed by all?

6. Cache Man

Cache Man Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Not to deviate a little on the subject... I had a good friend that looks like a hard core biker, and appears like he may have killed several people. He just looked rough but he was a good man. He mostly rode his bike to work and as a lone wolf. Once in a while he let his wife ride.:rolleyes: But in any case, he had a shirt that said, "If You Can Read This Shirt, Then The Bi#@h Fell Off". While I do not condone disparaging words toward any one, I did see some humor in it. There will be many who will be lone wolves.

7. ctfink

ctfink Elio Aficionado

Anyone remember the 'SOLO SUZUKI' ? I would agree with the rear seat being able to be snapped out. I have a ton of ideas as to where Elio is taking me. I want to employ a large cooler in the rear so I can routinely drive from the Chgo area to see my bud in Tenneesee & bring home 2-tons of crappie fillets for the local buds.

Jim H and Thomas Maule like this.
  8. pistonboy

pistonboy Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    7761, 16,070
    " he may have killed several people. He just looked rough but he was a good man"

Really? It doesn't sound like it.

9. NSTG8R

NSTG8R Elio Addict

Reservation #:

I think he just meant, you can't judge a book by it's cover...maybe. I've got some 'scary looking' friends, that are big pussycats.

Cache Man and Kuda like this.
  10. Tomg3rd

Tomg3rd Elio Addict

A removable backseat is a good idea but let's don't make the rear seat optional. I can just hear the nay-sayers now- "It doesn't even come with a back seat!" And "You have to pay extra for that!!"...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Coss, goofyone and Kuda like this.