• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Bumped Backwards?

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been led to believe that there are over 100 Smart Diesels registered in the U.S. from Canada. Occasionally you see one of them on eBay, The last one I saw was from Ohio. It might be pretty easy to get one registered in Alabama where I live and there are no inspections.
It's not Alabama or any state you have to worry about its the feds. As for over 100, there's way more meth labs around than that. I wouldn't recommended getting involved with that either.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would hope that Elio's policy to put all-in non-refundable reservations ahead of those with refundable reservations will apply to fleet reservations as well. If they pay their money they secure their spot. Otherwise it should be next in line based on the amount of their reservation

HoofHearted

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It's not Alabama or any state you have to worry about its the feds. As for over 100, there's way more meth labs around than that. I wouldn't recommended getting involved with that either.
It may be that the prohibition is simply that the Smart Diesel cannot be imported into the United States for sale as a new car. I don't think states are in the habit of registering meth labs and I have not seen any Federal traffic cops......yet.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It may be that the prohibition is simply that the Smart Diesel cannot be imported into the United States for sale as a new car. I don't think states are in the habit of registering meth labs and I have not seen any Federal traffic cops......yet.
No they aren't patrolling for things like this which is why the 100 or so are getting away with it. The problem can hit out of the blue when you pop upon their computer for something completely unrelated. Bureaucrats live for that sort of muck raking.

HoofHearted

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Not that it would be a bad thing, if nothing else Federal law enforcement tends to not be corrupt. South Carolina and Georgia cops are bad about soliciting bribes.

- edited to correct wording
In my experience, Florida and Arizona could be added to that list.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is is possible that people with registered production numbers could be bumped backwards if one or more large fleet orders were to be placed for Elios shortly after production begins? Just curious.
Elio like all the other loving companies will grab the high fast buck first.. That so called number is not a serial or vin , it means you were the 3000th or whatever sucker to send $$$.. You / we have no way of checking to see who gets what first..What is to our advantage is that no company in their sane mind will commit big numbers for something not proven.. Now Leasing companies are a different story, Most Companies Lease autos.. So I do not see either hurting much before the Elio is tried and proven..

ajetmech

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I knew a guy from work that bought a 'Smart diesel' in Canada a few years agoand was able to get it registered here in Texas with a lot of paperwork though. He since sold to a guy in Chicago.

Top Bottom