• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ca Helmet/motorcycle Laws

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's a lot of talk about different state's laws. I just want to let all CA people know .......we are good!

per Elio's map for helmets, not needed :)

And I found this on ca.dmv.gov's website:

Motorcycle Handbook License Requirements
California issues the following license classes for two–wheel vehicle operation:
  • Class M1—You may operate any two–wheel motorcycle, motor–driven cycle, or motorized scooter and all vehicles listed under Class M2.
NOTE: The permit and license requirements in this handbook pertain to two–wheel vehicles and are referenced in Section 12804.9 of the California Vehicle Code.
  • Class M2—You may operate any motorized bicycle, moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, or a motorized scooter.
NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three–wheel motorcycle.

I posted this somewhere else, but it SHOULD be here so all you Cali folks know! Happy Elio travels :)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I like that, they did change the endorsement rules up here (WA State) a few years ago. They used to have endorsements based on CC size only; Class C was 650cc and above.
Now that have a separate side car endorsement, a 3 wheel trike endorsement and a 3 wheel (Can-Am style) endorsement.
Leave it to WA charge a fee on everything you can.
I don't know if they have anything for the Elio in the works yet, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom