• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

California Auto Regulations

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope they solve the strict regulations: Class of license, smog, etc.
Hal, welcome from New Mexico. Was a life long resident of California but taxes and government drove me out. Had my boat in a marina at Isleton for a number of years. Great place for boating and fishing and I do miss that. Enjoy the forum and the many members that are more than willing to express their opinions, popular or not, including me.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
hi, from the other coast! Sunny Florida- you've come to a great place of automotive insight and the development of a new concept of transportation., and then there are discussions that couldn't be rationalized how they even got here! For example, there is a thread discussing the best way to prepare and serve dog (as an entree) Enjoy!!

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe if the elio becomes very numerious on the roads, California will move to regulate it as an automobile. I suspect they would register all elios after a certain date to carry a different classification of vehicle on the title that requires smog checks. Being a resident of California, I placed a reservation early hoping I could get it titled as a motorcycle which does not require smog checks. I suspect they would take a wait and see attitude to make sure there will be enough elios on the road to be worth regulating. After all, many start up companies to not succeed. (I very much want the elio to succeed!) Below is a link to the EW page talking about California. They don't say much of substance. I wouldn't expect them to.

https://eliomotors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203256780-CARB-Will-it-pass-California-emissions-

fjm03

Elio Fan
Reaction score
According to insiders, the biggest hurdle will be CARB. Usually a catalytic converter and vapor return/cannister would suffice but who knows what bug CARB might get up it's aXX.

Top Bottom