• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Car And Driver Article

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember Paul talking about the vanity mirrors but I don't remember him ever saying "shit". If the prototype is 800 pounds over weight (roughly a 2,000 car in essence), we are in trouble...

I didn't know that Clifford Atiyeh worked for Car and Driver yet is a contributing writer for Road & Track (and Popular Mechanics...).

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the Car and Driver article they say:

"The vehicle we inspected in Manhattan was a prototype, as was borne out when our colleagues at Road & Track drove it first and a fender came loose and ran itself under the front tire. Needless to say, we didn’t get a crack behind the steering wheel (which is sourced from the Chevrolet Camaro)."

Car and Driver make it sound like they were suppose to get to drive the Elio after Road and Track drove it. Note they say "our colleagues at Road & Track drove it first". Perhaps Car and Driver's turn was postponed. If they do get a chance to drive it later, I hope EM has the good since to use this opportunity to FIX IT!

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It has been known for a long time that the P5 is 800 lbs over weight. The tubular frame construction, fiberglass body panels, and double exhaust systems all contribute to the overweight nature of the P5.

Don't give a ______.
Yeah, I saw that, too.... Not happy, if that's a direct quote. He needs to be more careful, even in informal talks with the press/public. (And if it's not a direct quote I'm still unhappy, but for a different reason.)

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read thru that blog written by Clifford and was wondering how he came to the conclusion that the Elio he photographed weighed 800 lbs more than the proto-type and that this did not include the missing window on the door.

Who is this guy that can determine the weight of a vehicle by merely looking at it?

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I noticed something interesting in the Car and Driver (C&D) article. They never show the damaged wheel in any of their pictures. The fender coming off had apparently already happened because they mention it. Apparently they could have published pictures of that embarrassment to EM, but, they did not. They were being kind to EM by doing this.

Check the pictures.

To me, their article does not seem negative to EM.

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not surprised that the automotive press would find flaws in a hand built prototype. They're used to seeing and driving meticulously prepared press samples, not some one-off mule. On the other hand, parts should not be falling off.

I share Paul's dislike of option packages. After reading the article I checked to see if my Mazda3 had vanity mirrors. It turns out that it does, and that's the first time I noticed in the 8 years I've owned the thing. Apparently I don't care if I look like sh!t, either.

I'd like to know how well the P5 accelerates. If it's acceptable while carrying twice the extra weight of a production unit we're in pretty good shape.

Top Bottom