• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Carplay For Elio?

Steve McKenney

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I would be interested in this option and willing to pay for it if Carplay included even as an option in the car. Doesn't hurt that I am a big Apple fan anyway.

Since I know this isn't probably an option, any idea on what radio system will be installed on the car or whether it will be adaptable for after-market installations?

I know it's early but someone has to know right?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I would be interested in this option and willing to pay for it if Carplay included even as an option in the car. Doesn't hurt that I am a big Apple fan anyway.

Since I know this isn't probably an option, any idea on what radio system will be installed on the car or whether it will be adaptable for after-market installations?

I know it's early but someone has to know right?

Interesting idea, who knows they may have an option featuring Carplay. We do know the Elio has a standard radio slot so installing an aftermarket radio should be relatively simple. We also know the radio that is currently installed in the P4 is apparently going to be an option. It features bluetooth/usb connectivity to your phone and a built-in phone dock. For more information about it visit this thread:

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/s...phone-dock-installed-in-the-p4.481/#post-4488

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
As long as it's anything BUT CrApple. :p

I have a list of reasons to dislike them and their junk (my opinion, deal with it). I personally will never purchase their products and hope Google/Motorolla continue to pursue and win their patent infringement lawsuits against CrApple to teach them a lesson and have justice served.

As for the aftermarket radio option. Well, as long as it's a normal radio docking station (which the P4 doesn't really appear to have atm) you would be able to put just about any radio you want that would fit. The limiting factors would be the wiring available and the docking station itself as to what you could put in there.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really don't want any advanced nav/infotainment tech in the elio, I worked on BMWs long enough to realize that what tech looks great this year looks really dated 5 years later. By leaving it with an aux in or bluetooth it can be updated as you get a new phone or tablet every few years.

When I had a lease turn in BMW 7 series it was always fun ask passengers to program in a location on the Navigation. I can't think of a single person who didn't reach out and touch the display expecting a touch screen, who then would balk at how long it took to choose the letters in a street name with the knobs! All b/c the car was just a couple years behind current.

Steve McKenney

Elio Fan
Reaction score
With Carplay, it would have to have a big enough dash to support the screen. From the pictures I have seen from it and the from the page I linked in the original post, my guess is that it won't support it...BUT, I don't know how much space will really be available inside the vehicle for this.

Before this becomes a flame war and opinionated thread about Apple vs. Google or whatever other company people want to champion, all I wanted to know was whether Carplay might be an option on the Elio. Thanks for the responses.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Whatever option they put in the car, it'd be nice if it were made to be upgradable... Like a double Din radio that cars used to have. you could just pull out the head unit and swap in something else. Maybe that system is a little dated now but wouldn't it be nice if automakers made the cars a little more easy to upgrade AFTER purchase?

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The single din probably is the easiest to upgrade. I've seen a lot of single din upgrades in about every kind of retail store. I've always favored them. The newer cars have radios that look like they only fit that car.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With Carplay, it would have to have a big enough dash to support the screen. From the pictures I have seen from it and the from the page I linked in the original post, my guess is that it won't support it...BUT, I don't know how much space will really be available inside the vehicle for this.

Before this becomes a flame war and opinionated thread about Apple vs. Google or whatever other company people want to champion, all I wanted to know was whether Carplay might be an option on the Elio. Thanks for the responses.
Thank you for asking the question, Steve. I had never heard of Carplay so now I learned something today I can actually understand. LOL :-) Z

Top Bottom