• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Danger, Danger...

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Below is an email I just got from Malwarebytes which is the anti-virus software I've used for years. I thought it would be good to share in case you're not aware of this threat. Sorry, copying the text of the email doesn't let the hot links work.

-----------------------------------------

A new strain of ransomware, a Petya-esque variant being called Petya/NotPetya, is swiftly spreading across the globe today, impacting tens of thousands of computers as of 2:00 p.m., PST. More powerful, professional, and dangerous than last month's WanaCrypt0r attack, the Petya-esque ransomware uses the same EternalBlue exploit to target vulnerabilities in Microsoft's operating system. However, unlike WanaCrypt0r, this ransomware instructs you to reboot your computer and then locks up your entire system. Long story short: if you get this infection, you're hosed.

We're alerting you to reassure you that if you're currently using the premium version (or the premium trial) of Malwarebytes with real-time protection turned on, you are protected from this threat. Our premium technology blocks the Peyta-inspired ransomware before it can encrypt your system. (The free version of Malwarebytes, however, does not protect you against this attack. To see which version you have, open up your Malwarebytes software and look for the version name at the top of the window.)

If you're not currently using the premium version of Malwarebytes, we recommend that you update your Microsoft Windows software immediately. Microsoft released a patch for this vulnerability in March. You may access the patch here. We also recommend you be extra vigilant about opening emails, as one suspected method for spreading this infection is through infected Office documents delivered via spam.

If you're thinking about paying the ransom for this threat ($300 in Bitcoin per PC)—don't bother. The email service that hosted the address where victims were instructed to send payment has closed the account. So at this point trying to pay the ransom will result in a returned email. However, the attackers may provide their victims with alternative forms of payment transactions.

Cyberattacks at a global scale seem to be happening more and more frequently. At Malwarebytes, we pledge to keep our customers and readers informed. Your safety is our number one priority.

Sincerely,

The Malwarebytes team
P.S. Learn more about this threat here.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cyber...aign=Petya&utm_content=petya-esque-ransomware

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
that's, believe it, old news, there are newer bandits- and as of yesterday, Microsoft patch isn/t working.

Anyone notice no mention of Apple ?
I did get a red alert before opening a recent email, about an Amazon order I never placed.
I now think they're not wasting time with the little folks. We have our government to thank for sharing.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep heard about it on the way into work this morning. Apparently reeked havoc in Asia last night [yesterday?]. Along the same lines as Wannacry [or however they spelled it]. Love to get my hands on one of those evil little geeks! :boxing:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone notice no mention of Apple ?

Makes sense, looks like stats from earlier this year puts Windows desktops at around 84% of the desktops and OSX at 11%? If I were writing a virus, I know which audience I would target. The OSes are so radically different that it would be difficult to write one virus to hit both platforms.

Linux/Unix kernels CAN be affected by viruses but are just a much less tempting target.

Injunjoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ho, hum. Viruses COULD affect linux IF you specifically authorize one that targets linux. Kind of like if you follow the instructions for installing SuRun in any version of windows - you COULD find a virus that would affect your Windoze install IF you specifically authorize it to run (who would be so silly?)

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep heard about it on the way into work this morning. Apparently reeked havoc in Asia last night [yesterday?]. Along the same lines as Wannacry [or however they spelled it]. Love to get my hands on one of those evil little geeks! :boxing:
A malicious rumor is going around that I said all such malware creators should be dragged out into the street and shot. I would be ok with shooting aged or infirm malware creators right at their keyboards

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ever read any of Paolo Bachigalupi's "speculative fiction"? He extrapolates this behavior to genetic engineering companies that develop diseases as a weapon, and inoculate their own people before they release the disease. In one of his books, one of the main characters says that he had been immunized against diseases that hadn't even been released yet. :eek:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I get Tech Republic Tech News and they had this as a lead article today:
Massive cyberattack on US critical infrastructure will hit within 2 years, say 60% of security pros

Gee, how surprising, seems like the hackers what to push the government into upgrading faster then they are currently going.

Government computers are still running Windows XP, 98, 95, and any other old Microsoft software you can find, and their apps are written specifically for those versions of Windows, and react badly to newer versions.

Ever think that the hackers are in cahoots with the manufacturers of the software? Or they used to work there and know how bad the sites that are for infections?
It could be, but I doubt it; if they ever got caught, and spilled the "employer" info, those companies would be so far up the creek you couldn't scream for help loud enough.
Could it be disgruntled former employees? Can't say, I don't know, and would hate to guess.

The possibilities are pretty endless; so it's best just to do what is right for you. If it's a different OS, so be it, do what works for you. I hate these people that jump on the bandwagon screaming "get Apple", or "Get Unix", get what ever works for you, and let the others enjoy what they have (I hate these spitting matches that spring up around subjects like this). Just make sure what ever you have or prefer using is as secure as it can be, and be aware of what you are doing while online! Don't click links that you don't know where it goes.

I could go on forever, but why?

Top Bottom