• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Delaware Legislative Update

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After contacting the chairs of the state Transportation committees in the house and senate, I receive3d the following response from Senator Karen Peterson, chairperson of the Senate Transportation committee:

"Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding autocycles.

As chairperson of the Senate Highways and Transportation Committee, my role is to convene hearings to consider legislation that has already been introduced. When I received your e-mail, I contacted DelDOT to ask if they plan to have legislation introduced to conform to the AAMVA's "best practices."
DelDOT's reply was as follows:

"Since it has 3 wheels, it would be titled as a motorcycle - same as the Federal definition. In Delaware, the driver would need the 3-wheel endorsement only on his license -- not the full motorcycle endorsement. 3-wheel vehicles obviously have different dynamics than 4-wheel, so we feel the operator should be aware of those differences. AAMVA's recommendation is a minimum. We feel Delaware operators are safer having to demonstrate they can operate a 3-wheel vehicle safely. No legislation is needed in this scenario."

Since DelDOT does not plan to have an amendment introduced, you would need to find a sponsor for the legislation you are proposing. Perhaps your district senator or state representative would be interested. Once the bill is introduced and assigned to the Highways and Transportation Committee, I will schedule a hearing on the bill.

Sen. Karen Peterson"

Unfortunately, after a search on the Delaware DMV website, I found no information at all about the "3-wheel endorsement" or the process on getting one.

After the election, I will have to pursue this issue further.

Chris from Delaware.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My experience was similar. I did contact my local State Senator, who happens to serve on the Transportation Committee. He is sponsoring the Bill and has started the process even though the legislature is convened. He is working overtime......and no doubt will be re-elected. Good luck in Delaware.

Top Bottom