• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Delaware Reguloations

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is the response I received from the Delaware DMV regarding the Elio and other 3-Wheeled vehicles:

"Thank you for your suggestions. The DMV is very familiar with AAMVA as the Delaware DMV is a jurisdictional member of their organization and have several of our staff members that chair and sit on various committees throughout AAMVA. They are a great resource to all DMV’s throughout North America and we are glad to be a part of their organization.

The change you are suggesting would require a change to legislation in Title 21 which would need to be passed by the General Assembly and signed by the Governor. The DMV does not have the authority to adopt AAMVA practices if it is not a part of Delaware law. "

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My experience: After emailing the Idaho DOT inquiring about the current laws which classify the Elio as a MC requiring a MC endorsment and a helmet (age restricted)............I followed up with a call to my local Senator, who happens to serve on the Transportation Committee, asking if he would consider sponsoring a Bill to change the existing Code. We had a nice conversation........he was unaware of the Elio.........I emailed him the specifications.....along with a note mentioning that many progressive States have already or are in the process of paving the way for future Elio Owners. As a result he has started the legislative process and said he would keep me in the loop! I suggested a simple addendum to the existing Code that states: Enclosed cab vehicles are MC Endorsement and Helmet Exempt....similar to the Washington State Code. This keeps the Elio classified as a motorcycle which may be an advantage for licensing and insurance purposes.

If I don't hear back in a few weeks I will do a follow up call or email to check on the final language contained in the Bill and to be sure progress is on track. Politicians may be more receptive to sponsoring such Bills if local citizens are behind the movement to make the common sense change in mc licensing and helmet issues rather than assuming EM can get it done. After all there are over 34,000 of us to date.

Top Bottom