• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Dieselio

HoofHearted

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I am sure Mr. Elio has considered all combinations but I wonder how an Elio would perform with a 3 cylinder motor such as that used in the Smart diesel. I think it would have a small environmental footprint and may be easier to get by the EPA. Apparently the Smart diesel can't but they are available new in Canada.
$_12.JPG

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why worry about the EPA. Motorcycles aren't held to the same standards as cars are.
If it were offered, and would yield even better fuel economy, I'd opt for it.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Add the cost of a diesel to the anticipated price of an Elio and it puts it out of the market for many people. The goal is to get this into production. This is supposed to be a cost effective option to higher priced vehicles. Those who have the extra disposable income can retrofit it with whatever they want. What is the return on investment or cost benefit analysis of a gas Elio versus a diesel version?

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is just a quick workup, I assumed 33% more efficiency for diesel, but included todays gas and diesel costs near me. Engine cost premium is usually more, but usually for a bigger engine, but let me know if it is off.

View attachment 631
Diesel engines last way longer than gasoline engines which also figures into the equation. They run at a much lower RPM and put out more power. That equates to far less stress than your gasoline engine goes through to do the same job.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is just a quick workup, I assumed 33% more efficiency for diesel, but included todays gas and diesel costs near me. Engine cost premium is usually more, but usually for a bigger engine, but let me know if it is off.

View attachment 631
Thanks. I though I had read somewhere on the forum that the cost of the Smart diesel was around $6000. If that was accurate that significantly changes the financial dynamics

Top Bottom