• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Digital Trends Site Now Listing Elio Motors As One Of The Biggest Crowdfunding Failures Ever.

James F.

Reaction score
They say:
Elio Motors launched a crowdfunding campaign promoting a new 3-wheeled electric vehicle that was supposed to hit the markets in 2014 with incredible fuel efficiency. The company was certainly good at one thing: Raising money from casual investors, to the tune of $17 million for its first crowdfunding round, including over 65,000 that reserved a model ahead of time. Elio even hit the road with a conference on how to properly raise money via crowdfunding.

Then … well, nothing happened. Elio Motors burned through its investment money in only a few short months, primarily on suspicious soft expenses easily summed up as “paychecks.” The supposed released date has been pushed back for years, Elio has failed to get any additional loans for production, and it is now obvious there will never be an Elio scooter. The company is currently selling its small amount of manufacturing equipment just to keep the lights on, and is expected to collapse entirely any time now.

Link is here:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/biggest-kickstarter-and-indiegogo-scams/

So it looks like we are all screwed and that we will never see the Elio in production. I just hope I have get my money back, but not holding my breath. I was one of the early supporters with a low place in line. Anyone have anything to add to this?

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They say:
Elio Motors launched a crowdfunding campaign promoting a new 3-wheeled electric vehicle that was supposed to hit the markets in 2014 with incredible fuel efficiency. The company was certainly good at one thing: Raising money from casual investors, to the tune of $17 million for its first crowdfunding round, including over 65,000 that reserved a model ahead of time. Elio even hit the road with a conference on how to properly raise money via crowdfunding.

Then … well, nothing happened. Elio Motors burned through its investment money in only a few short months, primarily on suspicious soft expenses easily summed up as “paychecks.” The supposed released date has been pushed back for years, Elio has failed to get any additional loans for production, and it is now obvious there will never be an Elio scooter. The company is currently selling its small amount of manufacturing equipment just to keep the lights on, and is expected to collapse entirely any time now.

Link is here:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/biggest-kickstarter-and-indiegogo-scams/

So it looks like we are all screwed and that we will never see the Elio in production. I just hope I have get my money back, but not holding my breath. I was one of the early supporters with a low place in line. Anyone have anything to add to this?
Elio Motors is a failure until production starts. They have changed many laws, refined almost to completion a vehicle, planned many futurisms, put in infrastructure, and are close to making this reality. It is not like other endeavors, this is big if and when it happens.
The only fault I can give to Elio Motors is not having the production funding in hand. I cannot say if this was intentional, or a misstep.

Elio is 376 million buckaroos away from changing the world.

scottie

Reaction score
They say:

Link is here:

I hope Paul Elio has good dental insurance !

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope Paul Elio has good dental insurance !
Welcome Scottie, we only wish your reservation number is 100026800!!!!, It's probably a reference/receipt from EM, you will get a reservation number if you go "all in" @ 1k-
Not sure what your mention of dental insurance is (might just be me), aside lots of good folks with great insights into the many aspects of car production, engineering, design, finance, stocks, and honesty

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Its pretty obvious the person who wrote this did no real research on Elio Motors. A letter should be wrote to Digital Trends and the author should be looking for work elsewhere. Unless its a site that has no problem with putting out garbage.

Top Bottom