• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After two buckets of joint compound, A LOT of sanding, a gallon of primer and 3/4 gallon of paint... the guest bathroom is done.
The walls are smooth and beautiful. My girlfriend picked out the colors, as this is more her bathroom than mine. She absolutely loves this color.
I still have to replace the vanity and sinks, but that is a project for a later date.
bath_1.JPGbath_2.JPGbath_3.JPG

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes... I would agree. And that fine white dust goes everywhere.
"Sand it" with a damp sponge before it's set all the way. That'll get the bulk of the material out of the way. if you have a sander with a vacuum, it helps but really, just use a damp sponge shortly after mudding the sheetrock.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have the big vacuum sander, but it is just too heavy for me to hold up against walls or ceilings. Right now, half of the great room has been taped (the other half is done) and is waiting for final sand and paint, but the ceilings are 10ft, so it is waiting on me to climb a ladder.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Being both cheap and bored, I decided to make a new wheel for my wheelbarrow. I have this very old wheelbarrow and I just can't justify $30-$35 for a new tire/tube/rim assembly. I tried adding sealant to the old tire and it leaks out a large split in the tube and tire, so it is beyond repair. I don't use this wheelbarrow all that often and I don't put anything all that heavy in it, so I started thinking... Why not make up a new wheel out of scrap lumber, so that is what I did. (Two layers turned 90 degrees to one another) I still need to clean up the edges with a flap disk and I'll use some old scrap copper piping as a bushing for the axle to ride on. I also started thinking... somewhere I have an old mountain bike tire, I'm wondering if I can cut it down and nail it to the wood?? I should probably paint it black, so it looks more "tire like" (LOL).
wheel_1.JPG
wheel_2.JPG

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Being both cheap and bored, I decided to make a new wheel for my wheelbarrow. I have this very old wheelbarrow and I just can't justify $30-$35 for a new tire/tube/rim assembly. I tried adding sealant to the old tire and it leaks out a large split in the tube and tire, so it is beyond repair. I don't use this wheelbarrow all that often and I don't put anything all that heavy in it, so I started thinking... Why not make up a new wheel out of scrap lumber, so that is what I did. (Two layers turned 90 degrees to one another) I still need to clean up the edges with a flap disk and I'll use some old scrap copper piping as a bushing for the axle to ride on. I also started thinking... somewhere I have an old mountain bike tire, I'm wondering if I can cut it down and nail it to the wood?? I should probably paint it black, so it looks more "tire like" (LOL).
View attachment 26616
View attachment 26617
Reminds me of the comic strip "BC", except yours appears to be a radial.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After two years of building and rebuilding, I have the wind turbine back up, climbed the pole last night putting the motor up (40 pounds) and was going to just leave it there and bag it up as it is supposed to rain today, but then decided to try to fit the tail, and it went on so well I decided to attach the blades too. It is not wired in to the controller yet, so not actually generating any power to use, mainly just in the testing stage for waterproofing and rotation. All assembled it weighs about 60 pounds. I plan on using it to charge a 12v deep cycle battery which will run the lights in the barn and the chicken coop and maybe the pond bubbler for the fish.

Attachments

• WT installed (7).JPG
    WT installed (7).JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 62

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someone backed into my girlfriends car and (of course) they didn't leave a note. So I fixed the corner and found a replacement side marker light at a local junkyard. The paint was already in bad shape, so I sanded down the entire car and shot it (3 coats). Being the car only has a blue book of about $800, I didn't want to spend too much money on paint. So I used Tractor Paint, which was quite affordable. She liked the Ford Tractor Red, so that is what I went with. I know I broke a "car guy" rule shooting a Ford color on a Dodge, but it was the closest tractor color to the original color. Feel free to comment on the "orange peel", my painting skills are only half a step above my welding skills. At the end of the day, the car is presentable and my girlfriend is happy.
Side-Before.JPG
Side-After.JPG
Front-Before.JPG
Front-After.JPG
Driver-Before.JPG
Driver-After.JPG
Rear-Before.JPG
Rear-After.JPG

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Today's task was replacing a leaky discharge pump on the washing machine. When I started researching replacement pumps, one website suggested replacing the drive belt at the same time. So I ordered the "pump and drive belt" kit and so glad I did... when I took it all apart the drive belt was shredded and almost ready to break. Any who, all back together, works great and no leaks. NEXT!!
Washer_Belt.JPG
Washer_pump.JPG

Top Bottom