• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Doubts...to Buy Or Not To Buy...

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dear Mr. Elio,
I have wanted one of your auto-cycles since I first saw and sat in the prototype in the summer of 2013. However, I am VERY hesitant to put my money down without seeing actual physical progress towards building them. Letters of commitment and good intentions are not enough. Even multiple prototypes are not enough. They strike me as just "something fun for you to build" since your company is a design company, and not a build company.

The day I see you actually start tooling up the factory and you become a "build" company, is the day I will throw down my hard earned cash...(even though I think you are making things much less attractive than the early versions). The vehicle is a good idea and just like a lot of other people, I want to buy one, but as a custom car builder, it seems like you are dragging your feet way too long. Need help? I will offer my assistance...

I think that if/when you start tooling up, you will watch the sales skyrocket.

What is everyone else thinking?

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dear Mr. Elio,
I have wanted one of your auto-cycles since I first saw and sat in the prototype in the summer of 2013. However, I am VERY hesitant to put my money down without seeing actual physical progress towards building them. Letters of commitment and good intentions are not enough. Even multiple prototypes are not enough. They strike me as just "something fun for you to build" since your company is a design company, and not a build company.

The day I see you actually start tooling up the factory and you become a "build" company, is the day I will throw down my hard earned cash...(even though I think you are making things much less attractive than the early versions). The vehicle is a good idea and just like a lot of other people, I want to buy one, but as a custom car builder, it seems like you are dragging your feet way too long. Need help? I will offer my assistance...

I think that if/when you start tooling up, you will watch the sales skyrocket.

What is everyone else thinking?

I agree. On the other hand, this is not a custom built car made one at a time....this is a mass produced vehicle that must be thought out before it hit the production line because if they miss a certain critical feature it will cost millions and it's not good for a start up company that does not have enough infusion of capital! I myself went all in for a grand so I want to see them succeed but I'm not about rush them and deliver me a LEMON!!![/quote]

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It does seem that this coming on line is taking a long time, however, with all the government regulations we citizens have blindly permitted, it takes an extended amount of time to comply and move ahead! Someone said this has been in process since 2008 or 2009 which leads me to believe much is behind us on the way to production. Am ""All IN"" myself and truly hope I will have more to show for time in waiting than an expensive T-SHIRT ! The basic concept is solid with an obvious market waiting in the wings to buy therefore lets hope everything comes together by summer of 2014 so this show can get on the road. RB

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will believe it when I see them building the tooling. I'm an engineer and I've seen projects fail, even though they own the land, have blueprints and have really big ideas. Lack of initial funding is the primary reason businesses fail. I see that as an issue here. Don't get me wrong, I want them to succeed. Like everyone else here, I want an Elio.

I think that for me, when I see Plastics Research Corporation is actually building the molds for the body, then I'll take a chance and be all in. That action would demonstrate real progress towards actually manufacturing them. Sure, I'll be down on the list, but that's OK. By the time I get mine, new options will be available and I'll get an even better one...(grin).

I understand all the legalities that have to be overcome and I give Elio Motors props for that; but meetings, news conferences, road tours and planning are not demonstrating progress towards construction.

And lastly...as a designer, I have to wonder why they put covers on the front wheels and then squared off the back of the body...???

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It does seem that this coming on line is taking a long time, however, with all the government regulations we citizens have blindly permitted, it takes an extended amount of time to comply and move ahead! Someone said this has been in process since 2008 or 2009 which leads me to believe much is behind us on the way to production. Am ""All IN"" myself and truly hope I will have more to show for time in waiting than an expensive T-SHIRT ! The basic concept is solid with an obvious market waiting in the wings to buy therefore lets hope everything comes together by summer of 2014 so this show can get on the road. RB
Well said NRB.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The wheel spatz are really self explanatory (need to reduce lift under front fenders at speed, reduce wind resistance to lower drag coiefficent and esthetics). Examine a bullet or an artillery shell---no slicked off rear to main body of projectile , usually squared off, and these missels travel at super sonic speeds.Air turbulence caused by a bullet shaped rear end would increase drag against forward motion. Plus rear treatment as it now stands , provides additional interior space at minimal cost . RB (ME, Georgia Tech, '49)

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand the wheel pants. The goal is to reduce air resistance at the cost of additional weight and needed fenders...But a squared off back panel increases drag. If you don't believe me, tell me how many squared off airplanes do you see? NONE. Even Indy cars and Bonneville streamliners are boat tailed. Even some Semi trucks now have fold out teardrops on the back of the trailers. So if Elio is trying to build a super low drag coefficient into their car, why use a (IMO) ugly squared off back panel?

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My guess is the squared off rear panel is largely for safety; it yields a larger lit area for improved visibility to other drivers. It also allows for a larger trunk opening. The wheel pants may make up most of what is lost in the rear aerodynamics.

Top Bottom