• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Driver Tests In An Elio?

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Situation: A new driver buys an Elio (or other autocycle) as their first vehicle and goes to take a drivers test. Obviously the motorcycle test would be inappropriate unless the test is modified. The car test might also be out due to the tester sitting in the back seat. Now for most of us this won't be an issue, but I was wondering what ideas Y'all might have as a solution. Mine would be to have the tester follow in another vehicle or sit in the back of the Elio. Thoughts?

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Situation: A new driver buys an Elio (or other autocycle) as their first vehicle and goes to take a drivers test. Obviously the motorcycle test would be inappropriate unless the test is modified. The car test might also be out due to the tester sitting in the back seat. Now for most of us this won't be an issue, but I was wondering what ideas Y'all might have as a solution. Mine would be to have the tester follow in another vehicle or sit in the back of the Elio. Thoughts?

Borrow another vehicle. No worries.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What a grand idea. Take that idea further and instead of getting a Elio, just borrow someone else's car. Save on gas, insurance, maintenance, etc.

Sorry, but I want a vehicle that can be used for a drivers test.
My original question still stands, how can someone be tested in an Elio?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What a grand idea. Take that idea further and instead of getting a Elio, just borrow someone else's car. Save on gas, insurance, maintenance, etc.

Sorry, but I want a vehicle that can be used for a drivers test.
My original question still stands, how can someone be tested in an Elio?
Easy to test, administer the LSRP.
Why the concern and silly $ savings??

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would say it will depend on the state you are in and how they look at the Elio. If its a autocyle, and since it has a backseat, I would think might seat back there with there notepad taking notes.

If its a motorcyle, they might not allow you to use it for the test or watch you do the course as they would any other motorcyle.

Let's hope that's a concern someday for new drivers who has the Elio.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In CA, I am sure the DMV examiner would be willing to sit in the back seat, and do a road test like a car.
Motorcycles require a different skill set.
Diving an Elio autocycle is like driving a car, not like riding a motorcycle.
I enjoyed my CDL test, the examiner laughed the whole time because my driving school had an old truck and had taught me to double clutch every gear. I also squashed his cone on purpose when I made the parallel park in one try. That got everyone laughing big time.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
In CA, I am sure the DMV examiner would be willing to sit in the back seat, and do a road test like a car.
Motorcycles need a different skill set.
Diving an Elio autocycle is like driving a car, not like riding a motorcycle.
I have to agree with this kind of testing.
Since it doesn't require a different kind of drivers license, and driving test would be done with a sale person in the back seat.
This way, if you get out of control, they could reach over the seat and strangle you if necessary. A simple sleeper hold would do.

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am willing to wager a bet that in no jurisdiction anywhere will a driving test examiner sit in the back seat of any 'testee' provided vehicle. I've known a few (car license) examiners over the years and it is only because of the impracticable that they don't insist on giving exams in Driving School cars equipped with dual brakes and sometimes dual steering, plus motorcycle test examiners would never sit on the back of a testee's MC.

IMHO, I even venture to say that eventually, even nationwide, all automobile operator exams will be given in dual control cars, that you will have to either provide thru an established driving school or rent from your licensing jurisdiction. It's just the way things are going, our collective aversion to risk and an attempt to distribute liability.....

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I am willing to wager a bet that in no jurisdiction anywhere will a driving test examiner sit in the back seat of any 'testee' provided vehicle. I've known a few (car license) examiners over the years and it is only because of the impracticable that they don't insist on giving exams in Driving School cars equipped with dual brakes and sometimes dual steering, plus motorcycle test examiners would never sit on the back of a testee's MC.

IMHO, I even venture to say that eventually, even nationwide, all automobile operator exams will be given in dual control cars, that you will have to either provide thru an established driving school or rent from your licensing jurisdiction. It's just the way things are going, our collective aversion to risk and an attempt to distribute liability.....
Who said anything about driving school?

Nation wide tests are almost always done in your vehicle; do you have dual controls in your car?
And again, who said anything about driving school? This is a standard drivers test.

Any time I took a drivers license test for a motorcycle, the tester stood on the course, they had cones set up, and you would always circle back to the tester for further instruction.
In a test for getting your drivers license, he/she rode in the car with me, and gave instructions.

We're talking driver/operator tests for your drivers license. Not a school for learning how to drive.

Top Bottom