• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Driving On The "wrong Side" Of The Road

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For those countries who drive on the "wrong side" of the road, the standard Elio will fit right in ... the steering wheel is in the middle. I wonder though if they will insist the gear shift be on the left and the door be on the right?
We have a new member, wheaters, who lives in the UK. Maybe he will provide us with an answer. It is a very interesting question. I just assumed steering form the middle solved the problem but you are right about the door and the gear shift issue being opposite to what they are used to. I look forward to reading the answer. :-) Z

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I'm sure driving an Elio in UK won't cause any practical problems as long as the driver's right hand window opens (toll booths and car park ticket machines!) and anyone who has ever driven a left hand drive vehicle won't find it at all strange to use "the wrong hand" to change gear; those who haven't would soon get used to it. As I wrote on another thread, the problem is getting the vehicle accepted by the authorities. It would need a formal test to show that it complies with European type approval - the headlight pattern needs to be permanently altered to dip to the left, for example. That wouldn't be unsurmountable as long as there is a European equivalent of the type of lights fitted (stick on beam shifters aren't accepted).

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Problem is, the steering wheel will need to be in the Metric Center and suicide doors will need to be installed.
Also, the 3 cylinder will have to be replaced with a Pi model with 3.141... cylinders with the camshaft rotating in the counter clockwise to compensate for the European Declination.

Allowances for the "boot", "tyres", and "petrol" have also to be taken into account (whatever the heck those are)

I think the night shift is getting to me....

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think so, too! :D

Seriously, though, as much as I want one of these "Amurrcan veehicals", before I would risk putting money down up front, I'd want to see a final production model up close. No point buying one, paying shipping, import taxes and VAT, type approval testing fees (and whatever else the revenue robbers demand) then finding it was impossible to use it because of a basic design issue.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think so, too! :D

Seriously, though, as much as I want one of these "Amurrcan veehicals", before I would risk putting money down up front, I'd want to see a final production model up close. No point buying one, paying shipping, import taxes and VAT, type approval testing fees (and whatever else the revenue robbers demand) then finding it was impossible to use it because of a basic design issue.

Greetings across the pond!
With all respect, the pronunciation is 'MUR-kin.
To practice, place 7-10 standard size marbles in your mouth before attempting.
(don't forget to curl or snarl your upper lip with the hard "R")

I'd suggest a Confederate flag on the roof to confound the locals.

Last edited:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We have a new member, wheaters, who lives in the UK. Maybe he will provide us with an answer. It is a very interesting question. I just assumed steering form the middle solved the problem but you are right about the door and the gear shift issue being opposite to what they are used to. I look forward to reading the answer. :) Z
Well it solves the problem for those who want a curbside door.

Top Bottom