• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Efficient Urban Light Vehicle

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks goes to Tightapex for posting this elsewhere.
It looks like there finally might be an EU tilting contender with a future.
I thought it looked good enough and had respectable backing enough to post it here.

He posted...
Well there we go, just saw this machine... tilting FOUR-wheeler!

https://insideevs.com/meet-the-psa-desig...3-wheeler/

(My edit) BTW, click on the thumbnail for a full-screen version of the image.

I'd say this will kill the slightest chance of the Cree Sam ever coming to market after all these years.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's one I would put a reservation deposit on in a heartbeat, providing it would meet compliance standards and license as a motorcycle in the USA.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's one I would put a reservation deposit on in a heartbeat, providing it would meet compliance standards and license as a motorcycle in the USA.
I think the ball would be on the other side of the court, in that now it will be the US...
That won't certify this vehicle because it will not meet the compliance of a car...
And the NHTSA likely won't exempt it as a MC because it has four wheels.

Looks like it's either wait years until the next generation of NHTSA directors grows up...

Or we learn rudimentary German and move in with Patrick. :becky:

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How much will it cost?
That's the best damn question I've heard all month.
I think you should get an EMV Live "best question" shirt.
I know someone who wants to get rid of theirs.
Collector's item and never been worn.

Grumpy Cat, I did wonder about that, but didn't do any research beyond reading that one article.

Wow. I just watched the video of the rendering. It's got handlebar sort of type things.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the ball would be on the other side of the court, in that now it will be the US...
That won't certify this vehicle because it will not meet the compliance of a car...
And the NHTSA likely won't exempt it as a MC because it has four wheels.

Looks like it's either wait years until the next generation of NHTSA directors grows up...

Or we learn rudimentary German and move in with Patrick. :becky:
I would like to think it's a three wheeler. The rear wheel dually sporting 2 tires and will classify as a three wheeler in the USA. :)

I need to see it screaming around the test track.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to think it's a three wheeler. The rear wheel dually sporting 2 tires and will classify as a three wheeler in the USA. :)

I need to see it screaming around the test track.
Actually Rick, it's not a true dually. That could be a good thing or a bad thing. Each of those back wheels has it's own "in-wheel" electric motor.
It also has a single 41.5 HP "Petrol" either driving the front wheels for using some kind of differential in the back.
I agree with your need. Looks good standing still and in animation form, but...

I'm just impressed with who's funding it.

It's like the EU commission got sick and tired of waiting for the private sector to sort it all out...
And went ahead and hired a crack team of university types to build them what should have been out years ago.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And went ahead and hired a crack team of university types to build them what should have been out years ago.

You bring up a good point. Many Universities in the US that run in FSAE have built, tested and validated more vehicles than Elio has done in their 9 years of business. They have even started their own series to compete against each other. It started as something simple but has expanded into things like FSAE Baja, FASE Supermileage and even self driving cars. I never understood why Elio did not team up with a large university and utilize their resources. Elio is based in Phoenix and they could have teamed up with the university of Arizona. All Elio would have to do is used some of the advertising budget and provided a grant to that school and have them do lots of engineering studies along with build a few prototypes. You need to really see what some of these schools can do. It's impressive.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You bring up a good point. Many Universities in the US that run in FSAE have built, tested and validated more vehicles than Elio has done in their 9 years of business. They have even started their own series to compete against each other. It started as something simple but has expanded into things like FSAE Baja, FASE Supermileage and even self driving cars. I never understood why Elio did not team up with a large university and utilize their resources. Elio is based in Phoenix and they could have teamed up with the university of Arizona. All Elio would have to do is used some of the advertising budget and provided a grant to that school and have them do lots of engineering studies along with build a few prototypes. You need to really see what some of these schools can do. It's impressive.
Paul and his staff of engineers at ESG should have teamed up with a world renowned team of professional prototype builders, engineers, designers. That contracted R&D Business model worked for SONDORs to get a highly refined prototype built for $1Million in less than a year.

EM is a successful marketing team with no experienced car builder team members..............hence no car.

Top Bottom