• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ehang 184

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well , I admit, it's not similar at all. I'm only posting it because in the description, they say 184 means "one passenger, eight propellers, four arms.". Use of such a term strongly indicates that the Chinese transportation elite are very aware of Elio, and the related contextual references.

Anyway, it's quite a vehicle, for anywhere you can go with-in 20 minutes. That's enough to go across town and any waterways and other topography in the way.

http://www.gizmag.com/ehang-184-aav-passenger-drone/41213/

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ehang-184-aav-passenger-drone-1.PNG

I think it is really neat.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well , I admit, it's not similar at all. I'm only posting it because in the description, they say 184 means "one passenger, eight propellers, four arms.". Use of such a term strongly indicates that the Chinese transportation elite are very aware of Elio, and the related contextual references.

Anyway, it's quite a vehicle, for anywhere you can go with-in 20 minutes. That's enough to go across town and any waterways and other topography in the way.

http://www.gizmag.com/ehang-184-aav-passenger-drone/41213/
I really like it! Not that I can afford it but it's brilliant! Because the principle behind it is already in use on the smaller versions! Battery as always is it's downfall right now but if they can use a small gas engine to power a generator that will power the electric motors, then they just increased it's flying time!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The concept is great, and I'm sure it can be made real; but ....... (this is a big BUT) who does air traffic control?
Small personal flight units have been in the works for many years, and it keeps going back to "who is responsible for building and controlling the "highway in the sky"? They know if they left it up to the individuals we'd have a rain of debris daily. And for as well as people maintain their cars, who does the maintenance on the personal flight unit? Can you imagine flying along to work and suddenly the PFU 500' above you runs out of gas (or battery or whatever powers it); a lot of people are suddenly going to be having a really bad day as it careens down through traffic.
So they have to figure out some kind of computerized flight control system that controls the flight paths and the units flying in them so they can remove operator error first. Just my concept opinion. Other than the control problem I would be standing in line to get one, until that time I'll have to keep figuring out where to get the money from.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The concept is great, and I'm sure it can be made real; but ....... (this is a big BUT) who does air traffic control?
Small personal flight units have been in the works for many years, and it keeps going back to "who is responsible for building and controlling the "highway in the sky"? They know if they left it up to the individuals we'd have a rain of debris daily. And for as well as people maintain their cars, who does the maintenance on the personal flight unit? Can you imagine flying along to work and suddenly the PFU 500' above you runs out of gas (or battery or whatever powers it); a lot of people are suddenly going to be having a really bad day as it careens down through traffic.
So they have to figure out some kind of computerized flight control system that controls the flight paths and the units flying in them so they can remove operator error first. Just my concept opinion. Other than the control problem I would be standing in line to get one, until that time I'll have to keep figuring out where to get the money from.
I could easily see a convergence of autonomous driving and the federal drone requirements. Given that GPS systems are good enough to travel specified routes and altitudes, systems could easily be self controlled for object avoidance, plus all air-lanes would be set to never intersect. Then each system would be certified for use of those lanes, no pilot voluntary deviations allowed.
BTW, other variation on the VTOL theme; The first one was my personal take on it last year,, I used six pairs, since three could keep control while three adjusted for forward thrust, always remaining balanced and under the same methods of control. Hoops needed a bit more aero-shaping. (or simply removed)
InversionDrone.png

4-seater-elytron-aircraft-in-ctol.jpg
AW-Project-Zero.jpg
FlyingCarNASA.jpg
Garro_VTOL.jpg
puffin_VTOL_landed.jpg
RhinoVTOL.jpg
TriFan600.jpg
zee-aero-flying-car.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom