• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric Elio?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is ICE?

I don't like EVs because in 5 years, you are going to need a battery replacement, which is very expensive.

ICE = Internal Combustion Engine. I wouldn't want one that you couldn't just swap the battery at every station [I could see an automated version of this], because when I'm going somewhere I'm not going to wait around for hours, or even 15 mins for a battery to charge.

Last edited:

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ICE = Internal Combustion Engine. I wouldn't want one that you could just swap the battery at every station [I could see an automated version of this], because when I'm going somewhere I'm not going to wait around for hours, or even 15 mins for a battery to charge.
Wait, you don't want to wait around for your battery every 100 mi to get changed out when you are driving 1000+ mi (one way) on a family vacation? /sarcasm

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As an EV owner, I gotta say your range anxiety is almost comical :) The Elio won't be going on any family road trips either (unless you have a really small family :p).

On the last road trip my wife and I took, we drove the ICE (my current commuter). Because that is what it is good for. But our Leaf is perfectly capable to handle either her commute or my commute, and our power bill to charge it at night is HEAPS less than our previous car's gas.

EV's are not for everyone. If you got a long commute, that is what the Elio is for. But I tell you what, they are so cheap when you factor in all the maintenance that you don't need to do any more :D. My wife loves it, it's perfect for her driving needs, and I love that she is happy.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would love an electric vehicle if:
1. it cost the same as an ICE vehicle
2. the range on a charge was the same as the range on a tank of gas
3. the time to charge the batteries was the same as the time to fill the tank
4. charging stations were as common as gas stations
5. the battery life was equal to an ICE life
6. and a few other things I will probably think of later.

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would love an electric vehicle if:
1. it cost the same as an ICE vehicle
2. the range on a charge was the same as the range on a tank of gas
3. the time to charge the batteries was the same as the time to fill the tank
4. charging stations were as common as gas stations
5. the battery life was equal to and ICE life
6. and a few other things I will probably think of later.

Related to the points you bring up, China is currently experimenting with EV Bus service that uses Capacitors instead of Batteries. Currently the longest range bus is only about 12 miles on a charge (nothing to write home about), but the capacitors are 1/3 the cost and 1/2 the weight of batteries, and they can be fully charged in just a couple minutes at each bus stop. Wirelessly recharged, just by parking under a designated spot.

As the technology improves, I can see a future where every stop light, stop-sign, drive-through and highway rest stop will all wirelessly top off your car in moments. Not to mention dedicated "recharge" lanes built into the interstates. Or perhaps not. The future of EVs will no doubt be interesting and unexpected.

Top Bottom