1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Elio Fenders...retro-futuristic?

Discussion in 'Elio Photos and Videos' started by Sethodine, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Sethodine

Sethodine Elio Addict

So, I was wondering what the Standard fenders would look like without the black plastic skirting. To find out, I opened up the Configurator, screen-captured both fender types, then layered the Retro fender underneath the Standard (after deleting the skirt).

Even though I didn't bother photoshopping out the Retro fender, I think it gives you a pretty good idea of how cool the standard fenders can look without the skirt. But the lines on the Retro fender also add some pretty need flare, don't you think?

As a note: I think going without the skirt might cause rocks/mud to get flung all over the side, so it's probably a bad idea. But it looks cool!
    2d1o550.jpg

2. IdahoDuffer

IdahoDuffer Elio Aficionado

I also think that it could good look pretty good with the stock fenders slightly modified.

Just leave the rocks and mud to us rednecks.....we'll find a way to attach some mud flaps and be good as new. Yeehaw!

3. KD

KD Elio Addict

Interesting look for sure. And those wheels!

TCBronson likes this.
  4. Ty

Ty Elio Addict

I like it. Stock fenders, no skirt but rather a close fitting rear to keep mid down. Since the Elio can be stuck with only driving around town for commutes, aerodynamics doesn't play into things much. I could totally see going with your look there.

{Stubbornly continuing to use italics to refer to the Elio just like Elio does in their blogs... grr}

outsydthebox, TCBronson and Marshall like this.
  5. booboo

booboo Elio Addict

Nicely done Sethodine.
    Stock Fenders are cool enough for me to start. I bet once early adopters hit the streets, so will ELIOPHORIA. Then, we will see after market custom parts. After all, it will be the American Peoples Autocycle. We'll have dozens of custom front wheel covers to choose from in a year or two.
    Am I excited enough yet.

6. floydv

floydv Elio Addict

What would be really cool to me is a set of retractable fenders that can go from essentially open wheel to fully enclosed. One model could be based on the armored helmet from the Lost in Space movie:
    image.jpeg

Maybe comprised of nested, semi-circular FRP arcs all joined at a hinge point? The fully enclosed mode could still retain some of the aerodynamic benefits of the stock fenders at highway speeds, while the open mode allows you to show off your rims around town.

7. Coss

Coss Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Now that's what I call "thinking outside the box" Well done! :thumb:

outsydthebox and TCBronson like this.
  8. CompTrex

CompTrex Elio Addict

Why just the wheels?

TCBronson, floydv, Bert and 2 others like this.
  9. skygazer6033

skygazer6033 Elio Addict

I've seen some of Silas Sundays pics of the aero fenders with the sides cut away exposing the wheels. Pretty sharp with alloy wheels. Don't know how much it would take to beef up the fenders after removal of that much material but it would be fairly simple to do.

outsydthebox and TCBronson like this.
  10. Ty

Ty Elio Addict

If you just remove the removable fender rears (the black part is removable stock), it shouldn't affect the fender at all.

outsydthebox, TCBronson and Coss like this.