• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio & Motorcycle License

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Upon checking around it currently appears Elio will be registered as a motorcycle, which means you will need to have a motorcycle endorsement on your Maine drivers license. The good news is, like with the Can Am Spyder, Maine would allow you to test out for your motorcycle endorsement using your Elio.

Can anyone else cross confirm this?

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Upon checking around it currently appears Elio will be registered as a motorcycle, which means you will need to have a motorcycle endorsement on your Maine drivers license. The good news is, like with the Can Am Spyder, Maine would allow you to test out for your motorcycle endorsement using your Elio.

Can anyone else cross confirm this?

Without checking Maine law books I'd say your correct. Here in Nebraska if you test on a trike your limited to motorcycle endorsement 3 wheels.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Without checking Maine law books I'd say your correct. Here in Nebraska if you test on a trike your limited to motorcycle endorsement 3 wheels.
I'm still waiting for written response from DMV, but this seems to be the talk. Though I have a motorcycle endorsement on my license, my wife does not and probably would not choose to test on two wheels, she would in the Elio.

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for written response from DMV, but this seems to be the talk. Though I have a motorcycle endorsement on my license, my wife does not and probably would not choose to test on two wheels, she would in the Elio.

I'm sure she will be able to test in the Elio. The only weird thing is most of the written test questions won't pertain to her "driving" the Elio.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure she will be able to test in the Elio. The only weird thing is most of the written test questions won't pertain to her "driving" the Elio.
I have mine so I haven't researched extensively, but I know at least in PA you're allowed to take the test on a trike - with the limitation that not every test center accommodates trikes and you have to go to one that does. This would be even more true in the Elio, I imagine. Motorcycle test courses aren't generally designed for a vehicle the length and width of a car.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have mine so I haven't researched extensively, but I know at least in PA you're allowed to take the test on a trike - with the limitation that not every test center accommodates trikes and you have to go to one that does. This would be even more true in the Elio, I imagine. Motorcycle test courses aren't generally designed for a vehicle the length and width of a car.
In Maine a person can take a classroom course (3/4 day), pass a written test, and then get their permit immediately. They then can ride their "MC" but are restricted to daytime operation and no passengers until they take their road test. Or they can take a two day classroom and test track course and be eligible for full license immediately. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm looking forward to hear from my friend at the AMA what they know.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
In Maine a person can take a classroom course (3/4 day), pass a written test, and then get their permit immediately. They then can ride their "MC" but are restricted to daytime operation and no passengers until they take their road test. Or they can take a two day classroom and test track course and be eligible for full license immediately. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm looking forward to hear from my friend at the AMA what they know.

Hi John, while most of us are speaking in your best interest and are very much trying to help, you really need to talk to your state's DMV. We can talk about how it is in our state, but Maine's DMV and laws are what you need to understand and follow. I'm learning that every state is unique... there's registering the Elio, there's getting a license so you can legally drive the Elio, there's helmet laws, etc.

One thing that seems to be universal and fairly clear: you can drive the Elio without a helmet, if you're 21 or older, in all states except MO, NE, WV, NC and MS. Hopefully laws will change in the future, but that's the way it is now.

Anyway, the best thing for you, is to check with Maine's laws and the DMV. :-) Then you can be the expert, and if someone asks about Maine, you will be the go-to person.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maine Revised Statutes
Title 29-A: MOTOR VEHICLES HEADING: PL 1993, C. 683, PT. A, §2 (NEW); PT. B, §5 (AFF)
Chapter 1: GENERAL PROVISIONS HEADING: PL 1993, C. 683, PT. A, §2 (NEW); PT. B, §5 (AFF)

6-A. Autocycle.
[ 2009, c. 55, §1 (NEW); MRSA T. 29-A, §101, sub-§6-A (RP) .]
6-B. Autocycle. "Autocycle" means an enclosed motorcycle having no more than 3 wheels in contact with the ground and that:
A. Meets the general motorcycle inspection standards, except those standards that do not apply due to the design of the vehicle; and [2011, c. 556, §1 (NEW).]
B. Is equipped with:
(1) Safety belts for all passengers;
(2) A roll bar or enclosed cab;
(3) A steering wheel or tiller; and
(4) Brakes on at least 2 main wheels. [2011, c. 556, §1 (NEW).]
The manufacturer's certificate of origin must state that the vehicle meets the federal specifications for a motorcycle.
This subsection is repealed 90 days after the adjournment of the First Regular Session of the 126th Legislature.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maine Revised Statutes
Title 29-A: MOTOR VEHICLES HEADING: PL 1993, C. 683, PT. A, §2 (NEW); PT. B, §5 (AFF)
Chapter 1: GENERAL PROVISIONS HEADING: PL 1993, C. 683, PT. A, §2 (NEW); PT. B, §5 (AFF)

6-A. Autocycle.
[ 2009, c. 55, §1 (NEW); MRSA T. 29-A, §101, sub-§6-A (RP) .]
6-B. Autocycle. "Autocycle" means an enclosed motorcycle having no more than 3 wheels in contact with the ground and that:
A. Meets the general motorcycle inspection standards, except those standards that do not apply due to the design of the vehicle; and [2011, c. 556, §1 (NEW).]
B. Is equipped with:
(1) Safety belts for all passengers;
(2) A roll bar or enclosed cab;
(3) A steering wheel or tiller; and
(4) Brakes on at least 2 main wheels. [2011, c. 556, §1 (NEW).]
The manufacturer's certificate of origin must state that the vehicle meets the federal specifications for a motorcycle.
This subsection is repealed 90 days after the adjournment of the First Regular Session of the 126th Legislature.
II find that somewhat confusing. First they describe the equivalent of an Elio and then they say the subsection describing it is repealed 90 days after the adjournment of the First Regular Session of the 126th Legislature. Am I understanding this correctly? Do you have any idea what they are actually saying here? :-) Z

Top Bottom