• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors Needs Help From All Supporters To Pass Useful Legislation In Indiana

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio Motors VP of Government Affairs, Joel Sheltrown, posted this message on his Facebook page asking everyone, not just Indiana residents, to help correct some issues which have been encountered in the Indiana legislature.

Indiana recently passed SB 0421 Autocycle bill out of the senate. In Transportation Committee, the bill was amended which severely degraded the original intent of the bill; that is, removed helmet and motorcycle licensing exemptions for autocycles. The bill was supposed to be amended on the senate floor to provide the exemptions, but wasn’t as promised.

The bill is now in the House Transportation Committee. So, we are calling ALL Elioites to action. YA All are DRAFTED!!! That is what is going to take. Please send an email asking that Chairman Soliday and the Transportation Committee members amend the SB 0421 to included helmet and motorcycle endorsement exemptions for autocycles like the rest of the states are doing.

I don’t care what state you are from. When sending the email, if you’re not from Indiana, you shouldn’t volunteer that. Just send the email and request the amendments based on your reasons, which could include:
1) Autocycles have automotive controls, handle like an automobile and nothing on the motorcycle test relates to autocycle. Autocycles are too wide and too long and can’t pass the road test required by BMV
2) Helmets are extremely unsafe in enclosed vehicles while using 3 point safety restraints. Engineers predict that helmet requirements will actually lower our safety rating and cause significant injury in a crash to the point of paralysis or even death.

Rep. Soliday (Chairman) h4@iga.in.gov
Rep. Tom Saunders h54@iga.in.gov
Rep. Braun h63@iga.in.gov
Rep. Frye h67@iga.in.gov
Rep. Morris h84@iga.in.gov
Rep. Smaltz h52@iga.in.gov
Rep. Sullivan h78@iga.in.gov
Rep Forestal h100@iga.in.gov
Rep. Brown h3@iga.in.gov
Rep Pryor h94@iga.in.gov
Rep Stemler h71@iga.in.gov
Rep. Speedy h90@iga.in.gov

https://www.facebook.com/joel.sheltrown

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I was waiting to see if one of us would post this today, thanks Hector.

I've emailed the list of "h" legislators. :-) I'd encourage everyone to email them, and to write things in your own words. If you just copy and paste and slip your name in there, it won't have an impact. If you type your own words, it'll get their attention and be sincere.

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors VP of Government Affairs, Joel Sheltrown, posted this message on his Facebook page asking everyone, not just Indiana residents, to help correct some issues which have been encountered in the Indiana legislature.

I don’t care what state you are from. When sending the email, if you’re not from Indiana, you shouldn’t volunteer that. Just send the email and request the amendments based on your reasons, which could include:
1) Autocycles have automotive controls, handle like an automobile and nothing on the motorcycle test relates to autocycle. Autocycles are too wide and too long and can’t pass the road test required by BMV
2) Helmets are extremely unsafe in enclosed vehicles while using 3 point safety restraints. Engineers predict that helmet requirements will actually lower our safety rating and cause significant injury in a crash to the point of paralysis or even death.

Absolutely. Just ask Dale Earnhardt Sr (if you could). Would have to have head and neck restraints to be safe in the Elio with a helmet on.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

After tracing the Senate activities, I'm glad I don't live there.
What was sent to the House says an Autocycle is a Motorcycle.
It was amended in the end to delete the intelligent part that said you don't need a special drivers license.
Guess I'll add Indiana to my list of "Don't go there" states.

Indiana Dave

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Just notice this on Indiana BMV website:

What are your thoughts?

Autocycles
Indiana law allows for the operation and registration of autocycles. Autocycles are defined as a three-wheeled motor vehicle in which the operator and passenger ride in a completely or partially enclosed seating area equipped with:
  • rollcage or roll hoops;
  • safety belts for each occupant;
  • antilock brakes; and
  • designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals.
Title and Registration
Autocycles are titled and registered as a motorcycle, and are issued a motorcycle license plate.
Driver’s License Requirements
A valid Indiana Operator, Chauffeur, Public Passenger Chauffeur or Commercial Driver’s License is required to operate an autocycle. A motorcycle learner’s permit or motorcycle endorsement is not required to operate an autocycle .
An autocycle may not be used for the purpose of a driving skills test for an operator’s license or motorcycle endorsement.
Operation Information
  • An autocycle must be equipped with a safety belt that must be worn by the operator and passenger.
  • A passenger may not ride in any other position except in the seat designed for the passenger.
  • Motorcyclists and motor driven cyclists are permitted to proceed, with caution, through an intersection with a red signal after 120 seconds, however, an autocyclist is not permitted to proceed through the intersection.
  • Autocycles may not be operated side-by-side in a single traffic lane.
  • Autocycles may not be parked along a roadway curb with the rear wheel to the curb and the front tire facing the flow of traffic.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like exactly what we wanted to see except no mention of Helmets. Are helmets required for motorcycles in your state?

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio needs MOST OF ALL is not legislation, but a couple $100M

With all the $100Bs floating around USA and the planet looking for investments, one would think Elio could snag a puny $200M.

Does "smart money" think Elio is a dumb proposition?

Top Bottom