• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Coolant

Joe Coppinger

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
"You can’t talk head gasket without talking water pump – a.k.a. the other thing that ruins your life for a few days if it ever fails on you. Elio said the water pump for the three-cylinder engine has been designed with a lower flow rate and will use curved-vane impellers, making the pump slower and reducing parasitic losses. That’s a plus when you’re dealing with somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 horsepower at the crank."

I'm sure everyone has read this by now.
I'd like to point out a product that I use in my mustangs. It's called Evan Coolant. (www.evanscooling.com)
This stuff is expensive I know at $55.00 per gallon; last purchased, but the benefits:
  • Boiling Point 375+: This means no blown head gaskets due to antifreeze and water seperation (also redeuces cracked heads)
  • Protects Below -40: This means the block won't freeze and crack because the anti-freeze.
  • Reduced Operating Pressure: I run this stuff in the car with 0 psi (cut radiator cap) and the I can remove the radiator cap while the engine is on (carefully) and there's no pressure relief like in "normal" cars
  • Non-Corrosive: it means the it doesn't eat at the metal or the rubber..
  • No Shelf Life: once you put it in - there's no need to check on it.. (but I still do out of habbit"
  • Non Toxic - another green thing if someones counting the enviromental aspect.
The cool stuff is I've used this stuff sine the mid-90's and never had a problem. Somewhere in the literature it states this product is 30% more efficient than straight water - the I see it 30% more BTU transfer mean my radiator just sort of became larger so to speak. Traveling a fence company had some materials fall off their trailer and items went all over the highway - nails, tools, and buckets.. Like the other cars did the James Bond moves and pulled off the road and checked my tires -(OCD in high gear) after checking the tire proceeded.. about two minutes later I noticed a familuar sweet oder. I pulled over and checked under the hood. Murphy found my lower radiator hose had a small cut in it and the evans coolant was slowly weaping out.. Got a rag out of the trunk and duct tape. Wiped the hose real good and used the duct tape and finished the "2000 Hot Rod Power Tour"... didn't even add anymore to top it off.. Corrected the hose when I got home.. now that very same hose hangs in my barn as a trophy so to speak..

But enough I just wanted to bring this product to attention.. The Elio with products like this in the after market could be so much more...

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I ran Evans in my experimental airplane engine. My understanding was that Evans was slightly LESS efficient of thermal transfer than water, but due to it's very high boiling point reduced the possibility of hot spots due to localized boiling. Yes it was expensive. But for an engine that runs at 80% of maximum rated power all day long I felt it was worth the cost. Normal auto engines don't run at anywhere near this capacity. On a highway they typically run at around 20% of rated capacity (someone correct me on this). Plus if you overheat you can pull over. Can't do that in an airplane. A properly designed coolant system running a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water should be fine. Notice I said "properly designed". With no production engine on the testing block all that exists at this point are computer simulations.

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Also E
I ran Evans in my experimental airplane engine. My understanding was that Evans was slightly LESS efficient of thermal transfer than water, but due to it's very high boiling point reduced the possibility of hot spots due to localized boiling. Yes it was expensive. But for an engine that runs at 80% of maximum rated power all day long I felt it was worth the cost. Normal auto engines don't run at anywhere near this capacity. On a highway they typically run at around 20% of rated capacity (someone correct me on this). Plus if you overheat you can pull over. Can't do that in an airplane. A properly designed coolant system running a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water should be fine. Notice I said "properly designed". With no production engine on the testing block all that exists at this point are computer simulations.

Also Evans is NOT compatible with regular antifreeze. If switching from one to the other the coolant system has to be completely drained and flushed. total water contend should be less than 1%. I still have an unopened container I'm reading from. One good thing about Evans is that it's a lifetime fluid. Good for 500,000 miles and will not separate during periods of inactivity. This is why it was perfect for airplane engines.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Somewhere in the literature it states this product is 30% more efficient than straight water - the I see it 30% more BTU transfer mean my radiator just sort of became larger so to speak.
Maybe they say 30% less efficient than straight water.
Depending on which Evans Coolant you use, it's typically 70% ethylene glycol (same as "anti-freeze") and 30% propylene glycol.
Water has a specific heat capacity of about 4.2 J/g°C.
Ethylene glycol's specific heat capacity is 2.2 J/g°C.
Propylene glycol specific heat capacity is 2.5 J/g°C.
All at 25°C. They get better as the temps go up.

So it's more like 45% less efficient than straight water.

That said, it does work as a coolant and does have advantages over straight water or a water/ethylene glycol ("anti-freeze") or water/propylene glycol ("Sierra" or "Green" or "pet-safe") mixed coolants. Particularly the extended life, higher boiling point, and zero operating pressure.

It does have some disadvantages like high cost, has to be flushed and refilled if water is added, lower heat capacity, etc. Only the original NPG coolant - which contains no ethylene glycol - is non-toxic. Their Evans Coolant is 70% ethylene glycol and therefor toxic. Since all but the original NPG coolant still has ethylene glycol in it, it's still slicker than dog snot if you spill it. That last reason is why only straight water (with Watter Wetter) or pure propylene glycol is allowed in race cars. A race track slick with ethylene glycol gets exciting real fast. :eek:

ETA Many race sanctioning bodies do allow pure propylene glycol too.

Last edited:

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"You can’t talk head gasket without talking water pump – a.k.a. the other thing that ruins your life for a few days if it ever fails on you. Elio said the water pump for the three-cylinder engine has been designed with a lower flow rate and will use curved-vane impellers, making the pump slower and reducing parasitic losses. That’s a plus when you’re dealing with somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 horsepower at the crank."

I'm sure everyone has read this by now.
I'd like to point out a product that I use in my mustangs. It's called Evan Coolant. (www.evanscooling.com)
This stuff is expensive I know at $55.00 per gallon; last purchased, but the benefits:
Post 188:)

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/options-and-upgrades.134/page-19#post-30246

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Since all but the original NPG coolant still has ethylene glycol in it, it's still slicker than dog snot if you spill it. That last reason is why only straight water (with Watter Wetter) is allowed in race cars. A race track slick with ethylene glycol gets exciting real fast. :eek:

as is usually the case, I've learned something today .... thanks for the info

Jim

Top Bottom