• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Expectations

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the real world expectations are everything. And from what I have seen about Elio Eagle(EE) reservers they are forming expectations. And Brothers and sisters let me tell you, Expectation-forming is stupid at best.
You're best off forming as few expectations as possible. And here is how I know that.

I taught Pottery, mainly to beginning pottery students on the Community College Level. We would fire a very large wonderful wood burning kiln 2-4 times a semester. Students would make some amazing pieces, glaze them well and expect them to come out of the kiln a certain pattern and color. A wood-firing in and of it self has some variables that are not under the control of the people firing the kiln, and those variables make the final outcome unsure. But beginning potters would glaze a piece a certain way and fully expect the piece to come out of the kiln a certain color and pattern.
Days after firing the kiln, when it had had enough time to cool so that when we opened the kiln the pieces wouldn't shatter from the change in temperature, the students would all gather and the pieces would be taken out while wearing thermal gloves. My trained eye would be attracted to a few pieces, but often the person that created the piece would be unhappy with the piece. I threw several pieces for the kiln and did so because I knew that what the student had created was disappointing to them because they were EXPECTING a blue bowl with polka-dots, and instead the bowl had turned green with brown stripes. Reality was better than the expectations, but the students were unable to be understanding and mature about the result. So i would offer them anything I had thrown for the bowl they had. I have many lovely pieces of pottery thrown by students who had no idea how to create or appreciate such beauty.
MY point is, Don't expect anything from Elio, especially don't expect anything concrete, enjoy the firing of the kiln, get ready to appreciate whatever comes out in the end. To make expectations of something you have no control is to set yourself up for disappointment.
All this crap about wheel flairings and elgin dashes should be discussed in terms of what you like, not what the EE must have or you will be upset.

Last edited:

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree and went big on the refundable vs the 80% 'all in' group, who are under more stress over the delays; they are committed for Elios' success.

I've been waiting over 3 years for Honda to come out w/the 3rd gen ST1300 motorcycle, when I sold my 2nd gen ST.
Personally, I enjoy the anticipation of the wait on anything I am wanting to buy. Stressing over it serves no real purpose.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I know I will ultimately enjoy whatever the final product is even if I may not agree with every minor detail but this is pretty much the same situation with just about everything in my life so I don't see any need to stress about it. I enjoy my time on here reading everyone's opinions as we are a diverse group and frequently have many different ways of viewing the same topic of discussion.

I also generally try not to stress about decisions I can't change. I just do proper due diligence then make a decision and deal with the consequences as best as I can. Before I jumped all in I fully understood that this project was going to be at least a year from completion and could be subject to many delays or even complete failure. I also knew that I was fortunate in that I would never even realize the money was gone so I would not miss it if I lost it.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
yep. I would have gone all in for a grand but I play poker, a little. And I was told if I go "non-refundable" i would be given a warning that the window was closing to get all in at a grand and have time to make the final decision at that time. So like any smart poker player I decided to "ante-up" and not go "all-in" till i see all the cards I can.
But that is another thread.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is one other thing about how we will like the EE.
Just like that 510 Datsun I have mentioned I loved, if the Elio performs near the level that is being attempted by Paul, and is reliable, I WILL LOVE IT. I WILL LOVE HOW IT LOOKS, HOW IT SOUNDS, HOW IT SMELLS, HOW IT MAKES MY ASS HURT ON LONG TRIPS. I WILL LOVE IT.
When I got that Datsun it barely had any of the red paint left on it. It was gray primer with a red dusting. I used to let people paint on it when they got stoned. At one time two of the female nursing students painted the "OPERATION" Game patient on the driver's door. I did not care.
If the EE frees up more money and gets me where I need to go I WILL LOVE IT...Elgin Dash, don't care, enclosed wheels, don't care, flat cheap color, don't care. Don't care don't care don't care. The EE will have to make me love her. It won't be her looks that do it.

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is one other thing about how we will like the EE.
Just like that 510 Datsun I have mentioned I loved, if the Elio performs near the level that is being attempted by Paul, and is reliable, I WILL LOVE IT. I WILL LOVE HOW IT LOOKS, HOW IT SOUNDS, HOW IT SMELLS, HOW IT MAKES MY ASS HURT ON LONG TRIPS. I WILL LOVE IT.
When I got that Datsun it barely had any of the red paint left on it. It was gray primer with a red dusting. I used to let people paint on it when they got stoned. At one time two of the female nursing students painted the "OPERATION" Game patient on the driver's door. I did not care.
If the EE frees up more money and gets me where I need to go I WILL LOVE IT...Elgin Dash, don't care, enclosed wheels, don't care, flat cheap color, don't care. Don't care don't care don't care. The EE will have to make me love her. It won't be her looks that do it.

I think he MIGHT like an Elio:D

Top Bottom