• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

For The Dog Lovers Here

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I belong to a couple of animal welfare sites and do what I can with a no kill cat sanctuary in California called Cat House on the Kings.
Anyhow I ran across the video today and thought it was pretty touching so decided to share it

http://petcha.com/pet_care/compelli...n=compell ingvideochroniclesdogsuncertainlife

I hate puppy mills that abuse their animals

And if anyone here would like to be part of an animal welfare site, these are both free, they just ask you to play a trivia game; the other just wants a click that free.

http://www.freekibblekat.com/?utm_s...ign=fkk-home&utm_term=20150624&utm_content=_m

and

http://theanimalrescuesite.greaterg...ign=ars-home&utm_term=20150624&utm_content=_m

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nice video, my papillon is a rescue of sorts. He was born on a farm in ND by a backyard breeder, who's husband did not like small dogs and apperantly abused this little guy. He does not trust or like men and will not go near them. My Moms Neighbor had him for a few days but when it was apparent he did not like the man of the house, who was not happy with a 6 month old puppy who was not house broken and he had no clue how to interact with a scared puppy, I offered to take him. Charlie was not trained in anything or house broken. Within a few hours, with the help of our other 2 dogs, he was one of the family. House breaking took awhile but after some research on line, that seems to be a papillon trait and you just have to be diligent with training. Having a doggie door helps a lot! Today he is a happy, healthy little watch dog but still has a problem with men despite the fact we have worked on this for almost two years. Maybe someday he will get over this fear and realize not all men are bad.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The rescued ones seem to know when they have someone that loves them.
I have had dogs (a German Shepard, Black Lab, a Doberman (3 of them) a Husky/Golden Retriever mix (135 lbs.) and a couple of mutts, but actually love having cats also; I have 4 of them now, all pound puppies. Funny thing is, 3 of them are purebreds.
I have an Abyssinian 13 (the guy in my avatar), a Rag-A-Muffin 11 Female who was starving when I got her, she was 19 ounces when we brought her home, 6 weeks later she weighed 6 pounds (talk about insta-kitty), Manx 5 Female, and a 3 year old mutt Orange tabby. All have stories, and all of them now think they're human. My son even asked one day "how come your cats have so much personality?" My answer; "because we encourage them to".

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm a dog person ,Cats will eat ya at night when your sleepin'
Wife has a service dog that was actually a rescue dog .The shelter recognized her as having exceptional potential and did they get it wrong .She was about a year old when the dog went for training .She finished last twice but really bonded with my wife and has greatly enhanced the quality of life for her master .The dog's name is lizzie and DNA indicated that she is Rottweiler and Mastiff weighs in at 75 lbs and extremely gentle but can be easily distracted and loves kids a little too much Never is more than a couple feet away from the wife ..

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All three of ours are rescues. The older two (Zanna the Min Pin and Roscoe the Mini Dachshund) came from the area shelter, and the younger one (Dora) we acquired through the cook on the boat I worked on at the time. Nobody can tell me that they're not grateful, and they're great family members. :)

Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My wife and another lady, along with a few foster folks, run a dog rescue. We usually have around twenty here all the time and most of em stay in the house. The ladies are very particular where these dogs go. Many have been rescued from euthanasia at the last minute, others from horrendous conditions, some where their old master died and the family wants it gone. I have stories that would fill a book. You know, there are a lot of people that just love puppies....but not so much dogs. When they get older are discarded. Hate is a strong word, but I tell ya, I have no use for those people. Maybe I'm getting cranky as I age, but I have more tenderness and regard for dogs than I do humans. Heaven has a special reservation for folks like my wife, even though she can aggravate me.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
there are a lot of people that just love puppies....but not so much dogs. When they get older are discarded. Hate is a strong word, but I tell ya, I have no use for those people. Maybe I'm getting cranky as I age, but I have more tenderness and regard for dogs than I do humans. Heaven has a special reservation for folks like my wife, even though she can aggravate me.

I couldn't agree with you more, same goes for cats; kittens are so cute, but no one want a cat that's a few years old, especially the senior cats that had an owner die, or was moved to assisted living. I found a new group of people I have no use for; when the real estate market tanked and there were people walking out on their houses, they would leave their animals in the house to fend for themselves. What a slow cruel way to die; those are the people I have no space in my life whatsoever.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yah, the Navy family that lived next to my inlaws moved, and left their declawed cat outside to fend for itself! My mother in law already had a small dog, but couldn't bear to leave the poor cat out there, so she took it in. At that juncture, my wife's niece and her husband stepped in and took the little guy in, and named him Remy. The experience terribly traumatized the poor cat. Nina and Jason moved two times after adopting Remy, and each time the moving boxes came out, he would hide under furniture, howl and spray the furniture and the moving boxes. He has a loving forever home now, it wasn't quite as bad the second time as the first, but still... I hope there's a very hot corner of hell reserved for "people" like that. :mad:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had two rescue dogs, Angel, who had been abused by her owners, and Ginger, who had been neglected and ignored. Angel was poisoned by a really nasty neighbor (or so we believe; she died of botulism, which is very, very rare in dogs, which have cast-iron digestive systems). Ginger was very insecure, and it took a couple of years to settle her into real self-assurance. She traveled with me everywhere, from the Badlands to the Yukon. She died last summer at age 14, really old for a chow-golden mix. RIP, Ginger!

gingere bw snow rimlit.jpg

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Both of ours were rescued from near death after being abandoned.

We fetched this one from the dog rescue centre:
Image0223.jpg

This one found us:

IMAG0399.jpg

How anyone can dump lovely animals like these, I cant imagine. They are part of our family. Not kids (we had four of those too), just faithful friends. They are lying just next tto me now. The dogs, that is, not the kids....
Lovely dogs -- don't know about your kids. Just to help you know the difference, dogs lie next to you, kids lie to you.

Top Bottom