1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Ford Invests $500m In Rivian

Discussion in 'Similar Vehicles' started by RSchneider, May 2, 2019.

1. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

2. BigWarpGuy

BigWarpGuy Elio Addict

Rivian. I wonder how many companies could build a body designed to fit this platform?
    [​IMG]

3. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

I know it won't be GM because they were going to partner with them and it never materialized. I will predict Ford and VW will make actual bodies for that platform (Ford and VW partnered up for small pickups). Literally, any company with body on frame experience, could throw a body on that platform (truck or SUV). Just from, looking at it, it's got to be a massive money maker due to it's simplicity and ease of manufacture/service. No wonder Ford invested. Then since we here in the US are forcing VW to spend $2B to electrify America due to the TDI scandal and VW expanding their plant in Chattanooga for EV's, the next 5 years will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I did read that Rivian is going to set up a test drive program, so people that want to put down a $1K refundable deposit, can drive one before they do. That's a good idea because that thing is so expensive. Plus, they will build the more expensive ones first and cheaper ones later,.

4. W. WIllie

W. WIllie Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    "Plus, they will build the more expensive ones first and cheaper ones later."

Same concept as TESLA.

5. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

What I like is that it's right on their website more than once and when you put down your $1K refundable deposit.
    I think it's a good idea to have the most profitable versions first. This is because the Rivian Owners will be posting non stop on their respective forums and social media groups. Having the most range and the high line version just upsells the product down the road. People will second guess themselves and then get the more expensive version.

Plus with Rivian having to answer to Ford and Amazon. When Jeff Bezos or Bill Ford emails RJ Scaringe about when production will begin, they will not receive a response of:
    "Thanks for your interest in Rivian Motors. For all of the latest updates please go to https://www.rivian.com/news
    Thank You
    The Rivian Team"

6. ecdriver711

ecdriver711 Elio Addict

How much will the retail price range be for the Rivian .

BigWarpGuy likes this.
  7. Grumpy Cat

Grumpy Cat Elio Addict

Reservation #:

8. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

Note to self. $7.5K vehicles equates to a broken market. $75K vehicles equates to a fixed market.